Bat Speed vs. Exit Speed?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Do you think training max will help when you then goto less than max? Get all maxed out and out of control, which may make it feel easier and more controlled when you slow down? Or always just train at the speeds for game swing?

I believe in pushing the envelope at times with feedback.

Apr 2, 2015
Woodstock, man
bobby is that you? Lol. The faster the bat goes the quicker you are out of the hitting zone. The Shorter time your bat will be on plane. It works both ways. You guys cant see the forrest for the trees.

read the very first post again.Number 2 bullet point. The BEST players have LoWeR bat speeds.
This post should be in the hall of fame for the dumbest things I've read on a hitting forum. Congrats. I've been doing this decades, and I have many old posts in the hall of fame, but none recently.:)

Given the same weight of bat, every player should strive for the fastest bat speed. If I can swing 10 mph faster than the next person, I'll take my chances with the zone.

Now, if you are saying some bats weights are better than others, I'll listen.

Kids at home - and Dads all over America... never stop improving your bat speed. Please.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This post should be in the hall of fame for the dumbest things I've read on a hitting forum. Congrats. I've been doing this decades, and I have many old posts in the hall of fame, but none recently.:)

Given the same weight of bat, every player should strive for the fastest bat speed. If I can swing 10 mph faster than the next person, I'll take my chances with the zone.

Now, if you are saying some bats weights are better than others, I'll listen.

Kids at home - and Dads all over America... never stop improving your bat speed. Please.

That’s funny. HOF ? LOL. You sound like all the old-heads who never produced anything but words on these sites. Instead of questioning what I’m saying which is control the bat. Why don’t you dive in and find out why the better hitters don’t have the fastest bat speeds ? They are not at the top. Most are middle of the road to below average. I unlike you am not subjective with my thoughts. The bullet point number 2 in the very first post in this thread SAYS IT ALL. Answer that question. Not for me but for yourself so you can be better educated on the facts.

I’ll say it again, folks need to understand why that is. Don’t question me. I know why. Heck I even told you why.

This might sink in... you know a SQUARED ball goes farther and harder right? Start with that and study up old guy.

Jun 8, 2016
This might sink in... you know a SQUARED ball goes farther and harder right?
A while back I posted a chart which had the offensive WAR leaders for 2019 with their average exit velocities and launch angles. If I remember correctly, there wasn't a great correlation between WAR and exit velocity/launch angle.. 🤷‍♂️ What this tells me is that basing a hitting theory or instructional method, on the swing/batted ball metrics of HL hitters is probably not the best of ideas..not that you are necessarily doing this. I do agree that chasing bat speed at contact at the expense of all else is probably not a good idea.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
Sorry about the quality of photos, I didn’t do screen shots because I thought they were for my own use only.

From same presentation a SEC hitting coach posted bat speeds from three very good hitters. (I looked them up after the presentation). AVG bat speed was 59.7, 63.9 and another at 59.7 mph. I believe none of these are freshmen so we are talking experience players with serious strength training for at least a year.

///Snark Font/// Lil’ Suzy 14u PGF has 83 mph bat speed at the combine though. ///End Snark Font///

Last edited: