Bases loaded, 2 outs, batter is walked.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
That situation is not an out in NCAA.

The big difference with NCAA rules is that the batter-runner is not committed to first base until she actually returns to and touches first base. On a base hit or walk, the batter-runner may run through first base, and as long as she stays within three feet of the baseline while returning to first base, she may at any time prior to touching first base, attempt to advance to second regardless of where the ball is.

Keep this in mind when you play a college or when playing a showcase under NCAA rules. :)

Jun 11, 2013
How did the batter/runner have ball 4 called and get to 1st to begin the process while the runner on 3rd had not reached the plate. How did a proposed play happen then before that runner reached home plate? How did the runner from 2nd get to 3rd, round it, hold her position enabling the call? Did the player going home fall down? Did she write a letter home to mom? Think of the timing of this. This is almost an impossibility per the timing required. I'm dying to hear what the runner on 3rd was doing.

It's doesn't say the batter reached first.

I could see the runner on 2nd get there quickly if it was 3-2 pitch and she was moving on the pitch and was fast while girl on 3rd either doesn't go on pitch or doesn't go all out to avoid getting hit on a liner down the line. Upon seeing ball four if she jogged and runner on 2nd kept going it could happen.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
It's doesn't say the batter reached first.

I could see the runner on 2nd get there quickly if it was 3-2 pitch and she was moving on the pitch and was fast while girl on 3rd either doesn't go on pitch or doesn't go all out to avoid getting hit on a liner down the line. Upon seeing ball four if she jogged and runner on 2nd kept going it could happen.

It is my understanding of the rule that the time can only begin when the batter/runner has touched 1st base in the case of a base on balls. Am I wrong on this?

Jun 11, 2013
It is my understanding of the rule that the time can only begin when the batter/runner has touched 1st base in the case of a base on balls. Am I wrong on this?

That's right, it just doesn't say batter actually reached there so I don't believe it was a legit call.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00