Bases loaded, 2 outs, batter is walked.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yep, run scores in USSSA. From the 2016 USSSA case book.

SITUATION B: Bases loaded with two outs. With a 3-2 count on B6, the runners break with the pitch. B6
walks as overzealous R2 from second slides past third and is tagged out when F2 throws to F5 before R1
touches home plate.
RULING: R1 became entitled to home as soon as ball four was declared. R1 is awarded home and R1’s
run is scored. R2 is out. Three outs. (8-14-D-4)

Good to know. Thanks Comp

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
At a showcase last week, I was watching a team that routinely had its runners round first base after a walk, then immediately go back. I was sitting next to two college coaches, and one of them sorta gasped and said, 'She's out, right?' I'm not an umpire, but I was thinking that she's fine, assuming that she didn't pause.

Don't give any credence to someone being a "college coach" meaning they know the rules, they can be just as bad as anyone else :)

Mar 21, 2013
I believe you are allowed 1 stop, then must immediately go forward or return to the bag. I don't believe it states where the point of the stop as to be.

We had a similar issue a couple of weeks ago. Runner on 2nd base took a lead on the pitch and stopped as the catcher caught the ball. On the throw back to the pitcher the runner tried a delayed steal to 3rd. When the pitcher caught the ball the runner slipped and went back to 2nd base. The ump called her out for LBR. Though we argued the ump still called her out. He said she had already had her one stop on her leadoff. However, that does not count for the LBR. The stop applies after the pitcher "has control of the ball" in the circle. What happens before that is pretty much irrelevant. Please correct me if I am wrong here.

Oct 1, 2010
Marietta, GA
Don't give any credence to someone being a "college coach" meaning they know the rules, they can be just as bad as anyone else :)

NCAA rules are not the same as ASA or high school with regard to rounding first base. I don't mind being corrected by someone with better knowledge, but that may be an out under NCAA rules.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
NCAA rules are not the same as ASA or high school with regard to rounding first base. I don't mind being corrected by someone with better knowledge, but that may be an out under NCAA rules.

That situation is not an out in NCAA.

The big difference with NCAA rules is that the batter-runner is not committed to first base until she actually returns to and touches first base. On a base hit or walk, the batter-runner may run through first base, and as long as she stays within three feet of the baseline while returning to first base, she may at any time prior to touching first base, attempt to advance to second regardless of where the ball is.

Nov 2, 2015
At a showcase last week, I was watching a team that routinely had its runners round first base after a walk, then immediately go back.

What is the purpose of this, and why would you teach it? After seeing that a couple times, I'd make a quick throw to my 1B for a pick-off.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
How did the batter/runner have ball 4 called and get to 1st to begin the process while the runner on 3rd had not reached the plate. How did a proposed play happen then before that runner reached home plate? How did the runner from 2nd get to 3rd, round it, hold her position enabling the call? Did the player going home fall down? Did she write a letter home to mom? Think of the timing of this. This is almost an impossibility per the timing required. I'm dying to hear what the runner on 3rd was doing.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
How did the batter/runner have ball 4 called and get to 1st to begin the process while the runner on 3rd had not reached the plate. How did a proposed play happen then before that runner reached home plate? How did the runner from 2nd get to 3rd, round it, hold her position enabling the call? Did the player going home fall down? Did she write a letter home to mom? Think of the timing of this. This is almost an impossibility per the timing required. I'm dying to hear what the runner on 3rd was doing.

Lollygagging...clearly ;)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
What is the purpose of this, and why would you teach it? After seeing that a couple times, I'd make a quick throw to my 1B for a pick-off.

Waste of time. It is one of those cute tricks that work at the lower ages but is completely useless at 16U and over.

At 12U, a coach might get an extra base or two during a game. At 14U, a coach might get an extra base over the course of a weekend. At 16U, the runner will be gunned down once or twice.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00