Baseball swing vs. Softball swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Can anyone put together a few side by side gifs of the baseball path vs a softball path from a pitch? Would love to see some different pitch profiles.

Public_AlbertPujols_vs_MeganBush_30FPS_SF.gif

TDS

Mar 11, 2010

rdbass, nice example of the high level hitter working the barrel from in front of him to behind vs the softball player who takes the hands/shoulders back (stretches) towards the catcher which allows her to swing around the ball. 2 different directions of stretch.. One pattern allows to swing inside/out while the other swings around.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Hello Elbow advocates and climate change deniers, too, I'll bet. Linear v. rotational is so 1900s. It's ime to enter the 2000s and study some video. Or retire.

The "linear" versus "rotational" has been debunked as marketing terms for a very long time now. A high level swing has elements of both. For me, when those terms are used as absolutes independent of each other, I know that my part in the conversation is over. I don't care to try to argue that anymore. I teach what I teach.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
rdbass, nice example of the high level hitter working the barrel from in front of him to behind vs the softball player who takes the hands/shoulders back (stretches) towards the catcher which allows her to swing around the ball. 2 different directions of stretch.. One pattern allows to swing inside/out while the other swings around.

Don't you have a Blue dog to walk....
200.gif

Nov 16, 2015
when i switched from baseball to fastpitch, the biggest change i made was shortening my load. I couldnt afford any extra length from starting point to the load position. Everything else was the same for me

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
when i switched from baseball to fastpitch, the biggest change i made was shortening my load. I couldnt afford any extra length from starting point to the load position. Everything else was the same for me

could you perhaps start sooner? even then i am lost on how a closer pitching distance effects how you load? even though this is how You adjusted, could you perhaps have started slow and earlier.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...

I guess I am missing something or im not nearly as good as I thought I was at recognizing the HLS patterns. I don't see the big differences you are saying. Can you point out which number frames are different for us ineducated folks?

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
could you perhaps start sooner? even then i am lost on how a closer pitching distance effects how you load? even though this is how You adjusted, could you perhaps have started slow and earlier.

I was thinking this exact same thing.

IMG_4511.jpg
IMG_4508.jpg

Dang, they didnt post as gifs. But they are elsewhere on this site.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I guess I am missing something or im not nearly as good as I thought I was at recognizing the HLS patterns. I don't see the big differences you are saying. Can you point out which number frames are different for us ineducated folks?

I don't think you are missing anything. I just think TDS doesn't like the source(me) that posted the example.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles