Base Running Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 15, 2014
Here's one for you. R1 comes off 2B on a ground ball to F6. R1 starts to go behind as F6 fields the ball. F6 realizes R1 is close and begins to step back, but before she can make the tag, collides with R1, but never makes the tag. R1 gets up and makes it to 3B safely.

Any time a runner collides with a fielder who is making a play it is interference.
Intent is not needed.
Runner out--dead ball.
Other runners return to last base touched at time of interference.

Mar 26, 2013
Again, "what ifs" are not reason to call INT.
Okay, umpires can only make a decision on INT at the moment contact was made and they can't take into consideration a runner initiating contact to gain an additional base.

Here's one for you. R1 comes off 2B on a ground ball to F6. R1 starts to go behind as F6 fields the ball. F6 realizes R1 is close and begins to step back, but before she can make the tag, collides with R1, but never makes the tag. R1 gets up and makes it to 3B safely.

What, if any, call would you expect the umpire to make?
Sounds like F6 has already fielded the batted ball, made no motion indicating she was throwing the ball and moved into R1's path - no call.

Mar 26, 2013
... 2) Are there any rules to protect defensive players from this type of contact? I am seeing it more and more on my 1st baseman by other teams. I know we are not positioned in the runners way. Furthermore we play with a safety bag at 1st. I have even watched players with no intention of turning to 2nd run onto the white bag when running through and knock our 1st baseman down.
I think the double base is your ticket -

ASA 8-2-M-9 On plays at 1B when the batter-runner touches only the white portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball while on the white portion of the base.
EFFECT: Interference, the ball is dead, the batter-runner is out and runners must return to the last base occupied at the time of the interference.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Any time a runner collides with a fielder who is making a play it is interference.
Intent is not needed.
Runner out--dead ball.
Other runners return to last base touched at time of interference.

That just isn't true. For interference, the runner must have committed an act to interfere. The runner did nothing more than run behind a fielder. The fielder already fielded the ball. The runner did not collide with the fielder, the fielder collided with the runner. The fielder had possession of the ball, so it cannot be obstruction.

SoCal_Dad is absolutely correct, no call.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I think the double base is your ticket -

ASA 8-2-M-9 On plays at 1B when the batter-runner touches only the white portion and collides with the fielder about to catch a thrown ball while on the white portion of the base.
EFFECT: Interference, the ball is dead, the batter-runner is out and runners must return to the last base occupied at the time of the interference.

This is true, a double base would MAY have made the ruling in the OP different. Everything would depend on whether F3 had caught the ball prior to the INT. If so, the INT is the call. If not, then the defense would need to appeal the missed base prior to the umpire killing the ball or the runner returning to either portion of the base.

Mar 15, 2014
The fielder had possession of the ball, so it cannot be obstruction.

Which is why it is interference.
The runner prevented a play from being made.
She is obligated not to collide or impede a fielder who is trying to field a batted ball or trying to make a play.
Even if the collision is not her fault.
Just as a batter who is trying to step out of the way of a catcher who is throwing to retire a runner is likewise guilty of interference.
In our case the collision itself is the act.
The only time that a collision is neither Obs or int is the proverbial "train wreck"

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
What play did the runner interfere with? The runner was already safe and there was no other possible play to be made.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
What play did the runner interfere with? The runner was already safe and there was no other possible play to be made.

I initially responded with "God only knows". However in most OBS or INT calls I see umpires watching to see how the play finishes. Once time is called they then adjust. So in the stated case...Had the runner been out or not made it to the bag...I could see a ruling of some type. However, she was backed into and the MADE it to 3rd safely.

Jun 22, 2008
I initially responded with "God only knows". However in most OBS or INT calls I see umpires watching to see how the play finishes. Once time is called they then adjust. So in the stated case...Had the runner been out or not made it to the bag...I could see a ruling of some type. However, she was backed into and the MADE it to 3rd safely.

There are now to many variations of plays being discussed in this thread. There is no third base involved in the OP, only 1st base and no additional runners, just the batter/runner.

Feb 3, 2011
However in most OBS or INT calls I see umpires watching to see how the play finishes. Once time is called they then adjust. So in the stated case...Had the runner been out or not made it to the bag...I could see a ruling of some type. However, she was backed into and the MADE it to 3rd safely.
In ASA, if a baserunner interferes with a fielder, the INT is an immediate dead ball call, regardless of what happens if the players keep on playing.

On OBS, it's signaled right away, but yes, the call is always delayed. If the obstructed runner reaches the base they would've reached safely had there been no obstruction, then there is no call. I watched a game yesterday where a coach and parents of the one team were hollering for an obstruction call, even though their team's runner was called safe on the play. The coach actually requested time out to discuss the play with the umpire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole