Ball Speed off of bat / Ball Distance Hit ?'s

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
She did her job, but did the coach do his or hers?

I mean, if she bats 3-5, isn't that a player you want driving in that run? I assume there were 0 outs, because if there were 1 out, it would make little sense.

Your DD did as asked and did it well. I'm just confused about the coach wanting players to know their job, and then giving the power hitter the job of moving over a runner who's already in scoring position.

It may not be in keeping with common wisdom, but then again we have no idea who is on deck. It may make perfect sense to get the runner to 3rd especially if she has speed. How green is the catcher? What if the pitcher throws a drop ball and has already chucked a few in the dirt. Now she is out of her comfort zone as most drop ball pitchers do not like having a runner at 3rd. What if your on deck batter his sick speed and is a bunt wizard, maybe squeeze? We have won quite a few games doing what is considered non-conventional instead of being predictable.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
It was a scrimmage game and DD is new to this team so maybe he was just wanted to see what she could do? When I was talking about her coach wanting hitters to know their job I was talking about her hitting coach-great coach who is now HC at U or Maryland...

Makes sense. I was just curious.

It may not be in keeping with common wisdom, but then again we have no idea who is on deck. It may make perfect sense to get the runner to 3rd especially if she has speed. How green is the catcher? What if the pitcher throws a drop ball and has already chucked a few in the dirt. Now she is out of her comfort zone as most drop ball pitchers do not like having a runner at 3rd. What if your on deck batter his sick speed and is a bunt wizard, maybe squeeze? We have won quite a few games doing what is considered non-conventional instead of being predictable.

True. I was just squaring that w/ discussion earlier about certain players have certain roles. Nice when players can handle all the roles if necessary.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck