Backyard hitting and pitching area.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I was picking up our moving boxes last night from the planned cage space and thinking the same thing, "man I hope this doesn't turn into a junk collection spot."

When you look at your area, plan the lighting. I did but that planning has gone to waste now. You had better claim the area before the wife. Once my wife got me to install those shelves, I knew a dream was over. LOL

Aug 20, 2013
That is awesome! Couple of questions. Right now our pitching coach is having us focus on fundamentals and throwing as hard as she can. I would say she is a strike about every 5th ball(2 months into lessons). I love the idea of this screen so I don't have to sit on the bucket, but feel it might focus too much too early on aiming and not just throwing. What are your thoughts on when they should be focusing on throwing strikes or does this just come? I have read that. Also, what is the purpose of the numbers on the screen? Thanks for this awesome set up. I have a perfect place for something just like this, but getting the hubby to do it!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dad wants us to put in a strawberry patch. So, I was out this morning building the frame for the patch and then adding top soil. It is 6 feet wide and 14 feet long. We will have 50 plants in there somehow. Anyway, as I was doing that, I noticed that I too can set up a cage like knightsb. I would have to plant one pole. However, I have a very straight line of Oak trees and one offset that would be about 12 feet off of that straight line and parallel to one of the trees. I may give it a thought or two since I can give some lessons out of there during the summer and be in the shade for most of it. More to come on that if I decide to do so. I'll provide pictures.

Jun 18, 2010
That is awesome! Couple of questions. Right now our pitching coach is having us focus on fundamentals and throwing as hard as she can. I would say she is a strike about every 5th ball(2 months into lessons). I love the idea of this screen so I don't have to sit on the bucket, but feel it might focus too much too early on aiming and not just throwing. What are your thoughts on when they should be focusing on throwing strikes or does this just come? I have read that. Also, what is the purpose of the numbers on the screen? Thanks for this awesome set up. I have a perfect place for something just like this, but getting the hubby to do it!

1. The nice thing is that you can turn the target around and just throw into the back so that they do not have to focus on a specific target.

2. It depends on the purpose of the practice. Their is a time a place for both target and velocity. We (DD and I) have always worked on both. Our early emphasis was on mechanics and throwing hard, but the reality is if your DD can't get the ball over the plate, she probably won't see much playing time. DD's PC tells her work on Location, Movement, and Speed... in that order...

Jun 18, 2010
knightsb, can't wait to see the picture of all of the leaves on top of the cage. LOL That was some outstanding thinking there. I wonder how long you were thinking about it before you put that plan in to action? Funny thing you mention deer and rabbits like nibbling on the cage. At our HS, when I tried to keep the net up until late fall for the players to hit in summer and fall, I found out the same thing. Finding a dead rabbit or... in the cage is never a good thing. I did what you did by raising the net and found out that I sometimes found dead birds. I hope you don't have that fate. Very impressive effort. BTW, don't drink beer but love a good glass of ice tea. Can I invite myself if I stop by and get a cold Ice tea?

CB, stop by anytime... always have a cold pitcher of Iced Tea.... are you a sweet tea fan or unsweetened?

Jun 18, 2010
I agree that the back yard cage was the BEST investment ever. Always had a pitching area. THe cage increased DD's batting average by over 100 points almost immediately. I am in the process of adding additional lighting at the house now.

Joe, what a great area you have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi