Backyard hitting and pitching area.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We spent less that $1,000 to put a 45' x 14' batting cage /pitching lane in our basement. With 4 softball playing DD's its money very well spent. We're probably down there 5 days a week at least and we can take advantage even the smallest window of time to get some practice in and still balance homework, etc.

I was walking back and forth last night between the trees at the back of my lot (with Knight's photos) and the basement trying to decide where to go with a cage. I am thinking we could get about a 60 foot tunnel in the basement that could double as an archery range.

Last edited:

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
Indoors rocks! We don't care about the weather or if its muddy, and lighting is much simpler. I can pitch BP barefoot as well.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
knightsb, can't wait to see the picture of all of the leaves on top of the cage. LOL That was some outstanding thinking there. I wonder how long you were thinking about it before you put that plan in to action? Funny thing you mention deer and rabbits like nibbling on the cage. At our HS, when I tried to keep the net up until late fall for the players to hit in summer and fall, I found out the same thing. Finding a dead rabbit or... in the cage is never a good thing. I did what you did by raising the net and found out that I sometimes found dead birds. I hope you don't have that fate. Very impressive effort. BTW, don't drink beer but love a good glass of ice tea. Can I invite myself if I stop by and get a cold Ice tea?

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I was walking back and forth last night between the trees at the back of my lot (with Knight's photos) and the basement trying to decide where to go with a cage. I am thinking we could get about a 60 foot tunnel in the basement that could double as an archery range.

We had a "cubical" built in our new house for this and 9 foot ceilings. Before I knew it, it had those heavy duty shelves in it and Christmas decorations. Now it is where we store dd's college stuff when she is home for the summer. The best laid plans of mice and men ...

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We had a "cubical" built in our new house for this and 9 foot ceilings. Before I knew it, it had those heavy duty shelves in it and Christmas decorations. Now it is where we store dd's college stuff when she is home for the summer. The best laid plans of mice and men ...

I was picking up our moving boxes last night from the planned cage space and thinking the same thing, "man I hope this doesn't turn into a junk collection spot."

Sep 17, 2009
You don't need all that space to put up a cage:

cage.png

Our team bought the net a few years ago for indoor winter use. Purchased the corner brackets. hardware and 10-foot standard fence posts (about $500 for the 60x10ft cage structure total) and put this up in my yard last summer. Tons of use, still in like-new shape.

Happy to share info with any interested.

BTW the dirt "circle" was where our former trampoline was -- great trade-out. The mats are from local driving range, two for $100.

Fully equipped, I have a Bownet i-Screen to soft-toss behind and a Jugs machine at the other end of the cage.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2010
Florida
I agree that the back yard cage was the BEST investment ever. Always had a pitching area. THe cage increased DD's batting average by over 100 points almost immediately. I am in the process of adding additional lighting at the house now.

100_0230.jpg

100_0232.jpg

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Pretty sweet... funny you brought up the deer and rabbits because I have the same problem... I have to pull up the netting on my cage too!
I also built a small ball cage in the basement , complete with a pitching machine and a home made safety screen for close up front toss. The other half of the basement has a power line rubber mat and a softball power drive attached for pitching incredaballs to the targets taped onto the wall 40' feet away. If I ever build another house, I'll have the basement walls at least 50'long and 12'tall walls ... over board?? Maybe, but I call it thorough! Lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi