Backdoor Curve Help

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 27, 2011
Thanks for the responses! We are going to try moving the plate. I don't mind a very small repositioning of the front foot she was originally taught a huge step over with the curve which we got rid of after watching Cat throw hers. She has thrown a few in games more by accident I think that were pretty effective but she had some that came right over the center of the plate so just looking for tips to get her consistently hitting the left edge of the plate.

Dec 20, 2012
If you are at the rifle range and look down the barrel at the sites and see your aim is a foot to the left,, do you keep the gun where it is while you move your front foot over??? No, thats dumb.

You make as tiny adjustment with your arms / hands, just like a good pitcher would do. You make a tiny adjustment to your aim..

If you know where the target is there is no need for adjustments, right? You would set your body/ feet before you take aim, right? Unless you decide to change your location midpitch or your catcher is giving you a moving target there is no need to make those small adjustments, right? If you are going to run the quarter mile in your drag car you would run straight at the finish line. If they move the finish line you would reposition the car, right? You would not line up to the left and steer right. Why mess with snap point, arm circle, blind folds??? you are already throwing a curve, now on top of that you have to change your snap to get it to start farther right, it justs like a lot of timing issues that could go wrong very easily.

Dec 20, 2012
Thanks for the responses! We are going to try moving the plate. I don't mind a very small repositioning of the front foot she was originally taught a huge step over with the curve which we got rid of after watching Cat throw hers. She has thrown a few in games more by accident I think that were pretty effective but she had some that came right over the center of the plate so just looking for tips to get her consistently hitting the left edge of the plate.

I'm sure there are different view points in throwing the bd curve. Moving the plate is just what worked best for my dd. You're right, small adjustments at the rubber increase at the plate. Around 1.33 degrees at the rubber is 12 inches at the plate.

May 10, 2010
I think the back door curve is the hardest to throw when its rhp to rhb or lhp to lhb. There will be many hit batters in those situations. Though a good pitch I like to throw a good screw ball that's off the outside of the plate breaking in when its righty on righty. Also a good drop would be a good choice. My dd finishes her curve across her body after release, kinda like putting your hand in the opposite pocket. On the back door she does step a little to the batter and finishes about the belly button. I am not the best at explaining on a key board, but that is how she does it.

Jul 26, 2010
The pitch works best when the batter thinks that you're throwing the ball right at them (you are throwing the ball at them) and then breaks over the back inside corner of the plate, causing many batters to dance a jig. Nothing makes pitchers happier then shocked or scared batters.

-W

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan