Axis, Spin, and Tape

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
In the "Spin" thread, Rick Pauly said something that really caught my attention. Why, because I was trying to determine exactly what he was talking about. Here's what he said in that thread...

The axis of rotation is significantly more important than spin rate. Measuring spin axis is easy for the dropball (use a striped ball). Reading the spin axis on a rise or curve is significantly more difficult. This will sound a bit egotistical, but I have probably seen more pitches than 99.9999% of humans alive....I still have difficulty accurately reading spin axis on curve/rise. If you have a camera that will film at 600 fps then you have a chance....even then it is difficult.

The pitch does break out on a right-handed batter. And, having back-spin, it wouldn't drop as much as a drop-ball. Yes, yes... we are working on a riseball and a curveball. Hopefully, the riseball will have mostly backspin with very little side-spin, and the curveball will have mostly side-spin with very little back-spin. Yes, she may need to turn the ball some in terms of her grip, and she'll need to continue to work on having her curveball release more of a cupping under the ball, and her riseball be more of a cutting action.

BUT.... I think it's important for me to get the tape right for how she is actually throwing it so that she and I have a less difficult time seeing the axis and spin. This would mean having the tape in a less traditional location on the ball

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I prefer to use a XL sharpie marker on balls rather than tape. The tape gives a different feel to the grip. And I'm not sure on this, but it's plausible....the edges of tape peeling upward could affect the movement due to the air stream being affected.... maybe not, but it's something to consider.

Jun 19, 2013
I like the idea of a perfect stripe as well, but I think just enough contrast to see the spin is prolly the main thing. That said, here's one of the ways I stripe the balls: http://www.discussfastpitch.com/softball-pitching/18636-release-issue-spin-axis-2.html#post240437

We mark some of our balls in this style Ken shows and it works really well. My DD doesn't like the feel of the tape. And I don't have any trouble seeing the black dot if she is throwing her fast ball and I'm standing by her. And I can also see her drop and rise spins really well if I am standing near the catcher.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2014
What method do you guys use to ensure the stripe is on ball correct in relation to the seams? Its a dumb question but I always seem to fight it.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
While it's awesome to see a perfect stripe on any pitch, realistically, the black ink/tape provides contrast to help see spin. It would take a lot of tinkering to get a perfect stripe for any given spin, grip, etc, then as you tweak and improve the pitch, you'd need to move the tape some. Once set, you would need to grip the ball at the exact same place every time and every pitch might need a different ball/stripe orientation.

Here are two ways to mark balls that can help you see spin a little better:

DotBall.JPGStripedBall.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Be sure to understand the difference between the spin axis and the seam orientation. At times I have heard them mentioned as if they were the same thing. Both must be in balance to get the most movement from a given pitch.

Last edited:

ggalante6

#1 Gabby fan
HELP! I'm confused on the tape/marker direction in relation to the laces. My DD throws a palm-up curve and when thrown correctly the RED tape is parallel (horizontal) to the ground. She will do drills first, then throw at full speed and it really helps us identify if the spin rotation/axis is correct. BUT, I've seen a few different configurations and am confused.

I put the black tape on recently as a test, but it looks like we have the red tape correct. We're talking curve ball only (from a LHP)

20170318_174516-1.jpg

20170318_174555-1.jpg

20170318_174604-1.jpg

Attachments

• 20170318_174516-1.jpg
    20170318_174516-1.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 143

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunny 321commission