Avatar Parents and Their Kid Athlete

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
There appears to be many forms of this thread throughout this forum and an other one I frequent. I will defend this as in all the other ones I've posted in.

My daughter only plays 14U softball. She plays for a very high level TB team that pretty much demands one sport now that they are entering the college recruiting age. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but it was purely her decision. She knows that if she wants to play other sports then there are other TB teams out there that can accommodate that desire. Heck, my first love is basketball. So not all kids that play one sport have a gun to there head. At any time, if she wants a less demanding schedule, we will do so.

You can't tell me that kids who play ****er and v-ball and b-ball and softball at the same time are some how free'r thinkers or feel less pressure or won't run the risk of quitting all sports, all together. Come on, these kids have absolutely no "me" time. These are the parents that need reigning in.

I can argue her schedule is a lot less demanding then the multi-sport player and I can argue that a kid that knows how to make a decision is a good thing.

Aug 20, 2013
My kid "seems" to like any sport with a ball and she "seems" really aggressive TO ME. But all she has ever actually said to me is "I love to play." I know one family that claims so much, but I have yet to hear their kid actually say many of the things they claim she says.

A lot of this multi sport stuff is beneficial for balanced muscle development and it lessens over use injuries. John Hopkins(I think) is reporting over use injuries up 70% with kids specializing in one sport at extremely early ages.

If your child really and truly is demanding to only play one sport, wants to take lessons and practice everyday-awesome. If they don't, but you like to think they want all this.....ask yourself if you are prepared to deal with all the physical and emotional garbage left once the game is over. They will be adults for about 40 to 50 years and only kids playing softball for about 10.

GG

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
I don't think there is a problem with a kid picking one sport and playing it. I think there is a problem with a parent choosing or a coach demanding one sport and then putting the kid under extra pressure. Your dd choose 1 sport. Very different then having one sport forced on them. Which happens.

My dd plays 3 and it's not because she can't make a decision. To suggest otherwise would be the same as me saying a girl who only plays 1 is lazy and less coachable.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Most of the arguments set forth both for and against multiple sports are usually from parents seeking self validation for the decisions they have already made. Many people think there is a magic formula for getting recruited. A cook book of things to do that will ensure success. It just does not work that way. That aside you have to ask yourself how far down on the list of recruiting criteria would this issue reside. For all intensive purposes it is not a factor. If you have the goods you get the ride. Coaches don't care how you got there. They only want to know if you have what it takes to add value to their program and succeed athletically and academically. If the kid is happy and engaged they will be fine so long as the parents don't screw it up.

Aug 20, 2013
Most of the arguments set forth both for and against multiple sports are mostly from parents seeking self validation for the decisions they have already made.

Exactly. No one wants to be wrong in the decisions they have made. Totally understandable. Just be sure you can live with the decisions I guess.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
GG take a look at Facebook and you will see what I mean about self validation. For the most part it is a sea of people saying look at what I am doing/my kid is doing and tell us how wonderful we are. At times it is truly pathetic.

The biggest obstacle to any kid getting recruited is the parent. I said it before - The bible tells us that Samson killed 10,000 Philistines with the jaw bone of an rear. Every day scholarship opportunities are killed with the same device.

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
My kid "seems" to like any sport with a ball and she "seems" really aggressive TO ME. But all she has ever actually said to me is "I love to play." I know one family that claims so much, but I have yet to hear their kid actually say many of the things they claim she says.

A lot of this multi sport stuff is beneficial for balanced muscle development and it lessens over use injuries. John Hopkins(I think) is reporting over use injuries up 70% with kids specializing in one sport at extremely early ages.

If your child really and truly is demanding to only play one sport, wants to take lessons and practice everyday-awesome. If they don't, but you like to think they want all this.....ask yourself if you are prepared to deal with all the physical and emotional garbage left once the game is over. They will be adults for about 40 to 50 years and only kids playing softball for about 10.

GG

GG, I assume you were directing your response to me.

She likes other sports; loves softball. Her life is not defined by softball. She's just willing to commit to it. We just had a ceremony celebrating straight A's for her second straight year of Jr. high. Truth be told it will be her academics that pays for more of her college than athletics. But the two combined will "hopefully" be pretty powerful.

I'm prepared to deal with whatever she's willing to do and I'm willing to deal with the garbage if (god forbid) she has a serious accident driving a car. You can't live your life in fear of not wanting to deal with things. Every decision we make has a consequence. Good and bad.

Feb 18, 2014
Cincinnati, Oh.
Most of the arguments set forth both for and against multiple sports are usually from parents seeking self validation for the decisions they have already made. Many people think there is a magic formula for getting recruited. A cook book of things to do that will ensure success. It just does not work that way. That aside you have to ask yourself how far down on the list of recruiting criteria would this issue reside. For all intensive purposes it is not a factor. If you have the goods you get the ride. Coaches don't care how you got there. They only want to know if you have what it takes to add value to their program and succeed athletically and academically. If the kid is happy and engaged they will be fine so long as the parents don't screw it up.

Exactly, since the article was posted singing the praises of multi sport athletes the brakes need to be applied and let it be known there are a lot that choose to play one; that are well rounded as well.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
GG, I assume you were directing your response to me.

She likes other sports; loves softball. Her life is not defined by softball. She's just willing to commit to it. We just had a ceremony celebrating straight A's for her second straight year of Jr. high. Truth be told it will be her academics that pays for more of her college than athletics. But the two combined will "hopefully" be pretty powerful.

I'm prepared to deal with whatever she's willing to do and I'm willing to deal with the garbage if (god forbid) she has a serious accident driving a car. You can't live your life in fear of not wanting to deal with things. Every decision we make has a consequence. Good and bad.

Your daughter has found her passion (softball and academics) and has decided to COMMIT herself to that endeavor? What next is she going to become ACCOUNTABLE for her decisions? Crazy talk I tell you! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes