Avatar Parents and Their Kid Athlete

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 20, 2013
I wasn't directing it towards anyone and I hope I didn't upset you. MANY parents on here and on the field swear the same things. All I am saying is that if they truly are saying it--go for it, but if it is what you want to hear, just rethink. I pushed way to hard at one point and I finally saw that I was doing more harm than good. The opposite could also be said for others.

I can only hope that my child chooses to do one or two sports, but I just can't nail her down right now. I am run ragged, but that is ok. I want it to be softball, but realized that it isn't about what I want.

I guess my point was lost because of people immediately going on the offensive. My point is, this is their life. If it is all about softball, great! If YOU are all about softball, maybe it deserves a second look.

GG

Mar 20, 2012
Sacramento, CA
My DD plays softball and pitches. That's 2 different sports in my book. That qualifies her as a 2 sport athlete:)

This doesn't mean she can't take her mountain bike and hit the trails, or grab a basketball and shoot some hoops. It just means that she has chosen softball as the "competitive sport" and the others she does for fun.

I see the girls that have chosen to do multiple sports at a highly competitive level are getting passed up by those that have chosen to concentrate on one. There is not enough time in the day for most average kids to become competent at multiple sports and be highly competitive in all of them.

Jun 7, 2013
Both my DDs pitch and play softball and play tennis on the school team. Tennis is not their serious sport. We'll get out and whack the ball occasionally but no real practice sessions. They do alright getting by on their natural ability. Their dedication to pitching over the years has made them not as well developed as they could be in playing another position or batting. However, this year we've put less than usual into pitching and more into hitting and fielding and their hitting and fielding has developed.

There's not enough time in a day to do everything but it is nice that there is a "spill over" effect from one sport to the next meaning, for example, that the hand-eye coordination, or whatever, they've developed in softball helps with tennis.

As for playing softball and pitching, to become a good pitcher it takes at least as much time as it does to develop a good hitter and player, which certainly qualifies as two sports.

Jun 19, 2013
I agree in some ways with the above two posts. When you DD is a pitcher it really makes it tough to add another sport. When the other players on her team are at basketball or volleyball she is at a pitching lesson, or practicing pitching, or doing hitting because she missed that when she was pitching at the last practice. I have offered many times to help her try out other sports and she quickly declines. So here we are working on softball, crocheting, getting straight A's, and making sure her fingernails match her team colors for the tournaments.

In regards to the original article I had a hard time taking it completely seriously when one of the first facts is that 20% of kids have been hit, kicked or slapped due to their sport . . . seriously? 1 in 5 kids has had that happen? I have never been aware of even one kid who has had that and we have been VERY involved in sports with my son for 7 years and 3 now for my dd. I have met 1 or 2 families out of hundreds that I can imagine maybe doing something like that. Maybe the kids they interviewed were soccer players who got kicked. If you said 1 in 10, or 1 in 20, got yelled at I could imagine that from what I see.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan