Auburn Hop

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That means their pitchers have to be perfect in hitting their spots. As an infielder, I would be uncomfortable with that. Catcher slides outside and the pitcher misses inside?

It is of course advantageous to have a pitcher that can hit their spots. Location, location, location.

That said, there is a time for 'anticipation' and there is a time for 'reacting'.

Once the barrel makes contact with the ball a fielder should not be in 'anticipation-mode' ... this is the time they need to be dealing with reality and 'reacting'.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I teach the hop as well but do it a little differently. We use cone saucers and have the players enter with a ball. They toss the ball to me and I am sitting on a bucket. I already have a ball in one hand. So, jump to their left, jump back to center, jump to right, jump back to center, jump forward. When they land, I ask that their glove foot be ever so slightly ahead of their other foot. They are to land presenting glove out in front palm up. I then throw/roll quickly a ball to either side. Coach Meyer wants a crossover step. I want a drop step for angles. Every once in a while, I'll roll a ball to the middle slowly requiring them to come in to field. I will be coaching this for this week at our HS camp.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Exactly......

Right on!

Pedroia.jpg

Oct 4, 2011
Of course... I never said otherwise. You can tell by the hitter's barrel position and pitch location where it is going to be hit. That is anticipation. Just before contact.

Once the barrel makes contact with the ball a fielder should not be in 'anticipation-mode' ... this is the time they need to be dealing with reality and 'reacting'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG