Attitude Problem with Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 16, 2015
Confused ?so are you saying you wish someone had called pitches for you or you should let your girls call pitches?

I wasnt very clear on that. I think the learning curve would have been shorter if i had someone helping me call the game earlier on in my playing career. I really had to work hard to figure out what to do. I dont think i would have liked someone calling it for me, but some guidance along the way would have helped.

Now that i call the game from the bucket, I dont have the same sense of what is going on in the game as i did from behind the plate. I take a lot of notes now trying to remember hitters from AB to AB.

I coach 14u and i think that i need to call the games for her, but am trying to teach her the process. I also help the 16u teams when i can. I feel that our #1 catcher in 16u could call her own game now. The other catchers could not.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My point is why expect the girls to do it themselves when at the next level the pitching coach will be doing it because their job depends on it.

???

So that the girls *LEARN THE GAME*. At the lower levels, a coach is supposed to teach the kids how to play the game.

Coaches come up with every rationalization in the world to take as much control away from the players as possible. They want is a bunch of robots who will do exactly what they say when they say it, without anyone asking questions.

Kids today generally have better skills than in previous, year, but they really don't know how to play the game.

May 17, 2012
Pitch calling is not a skill. Once you realize that all of this becomes moot.

It's almost always about control. Some coaches refuse to give up control. Conversely all of the bucket dads that think they can call pitches for their daughter better than random chance you are fooling yourself.

Pick the battles that matter.

May 17, 2012
Kids today generally have better skills than in previous, year, but they really don't know how to play the game.

I was with you until the last sentence. That's just you getting old. ;)

Top to bottom this generation is better than the previous. That cycle will continue.

Sep 29, 2014
Pitch calling is not a skill. Once you realize that all of this becomes moot.

It's almost always about control. Some coaches refuse to give up control. Conversely all of the bucket dads that think they can call pitches for their daughter better than random chance you are fooling yourself.

Pick the battles that matter.

It's not a physical skill, but just like knowing what base to throw to, when to run or stay, etc. these are things you need to learn and apply to the game. The actual pitching , throwing or running are physical skills but the mental part of the game does not just happen, you need to learn, practice and apply and you will get better at it as time goes by.

Aug 10, 2015
I agree with you djcarter. These things are taught as time goes and girls mature. 12 yr old pitchers that call there own shots end up being uncoachable players because they think they know it all. Just unbelievable to me that 12 - 14 girls can throw 6 different pitches at 60 mph while understanding everything going on in a game, & sizing a girls swing up to decide which pitch & at what velocity to get them out. I would think with all these great pitchers out there we have 1-0 sec scores all the time. I don't see these pitchers at tournaments we play at. Its process that Is taught over time, heck even sec pitchers and catchers are still learning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharonastokes