Attitude Problem with Player

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 12, 2015
Alright so I'm happy a bit of a dilema.With a couple of my girls on my varsity team,these girls have been with me now for 6yrs. Through travel ball and youth leagues.One of the girls is our ace and pretty much only pitcher we have and as of late she's developed this attitude as to where she knows more than me her pitching coach/asst.coach.I normally call pitches but lately she's been fighting me about what pitches to throw I'm trying to develop a drop curve with her which she throws very well,but insists on me not calling in the game.This is just very frustrating to me and I don't know how to handle the situation because she is really our only pitcher and I feel if I tell her how it is she may just completely shut me out and we can't have that either.Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!Thanks Eric

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feb 7, 2013
IMO, you should be working with the pitcher/catcher battery to start giving some of the pitch calling responsibility to them. A good compromise would be to slowly give them control of what pitches to call, maybe an inning or two, scrimmage, etc until you/they get comfortable doing it. There are lots of positive benefits of having them call the game (closer to the batter, can see the pitch location better, pitcher knows what pitch is working and which one isnt, etc) It's pretty normal for the pitcher to want the catcher and her to call the pitches so I wouldn't necessarily think this is a bad thing. I think part of coaching is being able to teach them to be self diffident and think for themselves. I would give it a try and see what happens.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Your main job is to develop players.

So, stop calling her pitches.

She has pitched for you for 6 years, and has pitched at least 300 games for you. Seems to me that she has had lots of experience. Exactly when do you plan on letting her call the pitches?

Sep 20, 2012
SE Ohio
The problem you are describing sounds to me as less attitude and more the player wanting more responsibility. Take this as an opportunity to help her grow. Work with her on pitching strategy, knowing how to read a batter and what that situation calls for. Ease her into calling a game by letting her and the catcher do it for an inning or two per game. Record those innings and go over things afterwards pointing out what was done well and what needs work. Tell her that she needs to start throwing certain pitches in games so that she is used to throwing them in pressure situations. Then give her instances when the pitches are appropriate and tell her she needs to throw X number of that pitch a game, but let her choose when.

Finally, if this really is an attitude problem, then you need to be developing a second pitcher. You don't describe it as such, but if this a prima dona situation where she thinks she is better than others/teammates/coaches, you need to be prepared to sit her down a game or two (even if it means taking a loss) as you work with your secondary pitcher. Explain to her that because of her attitude, you are having to open the position up to the 2nd string and that as soon as her attitude changes she'll be back in. Not sure if this is applicable, but as a fellow coach of HS girls, I know I always have one or two who think they are better than the rest of the team and therefore don't need to follow the same rules. The bench will either cure that or they will find another team. Either is fine with me.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Eric - I am going to get on my soapbox on this issue and I want you to know that all of my comments are not directed at you.

I have been sitting on a bucket and attending pitching lessons with my DD for 8+ years. I feel overly qualified to call her pitches. After the countless pitches we have thrown together, I still do not know which pitch is "working" every game. Some games her curve is her "go to" and some days it is the screw. How do I know what is working and what is not working? I ask! Does the fact that I know my DD well make me the best candidate to call pitches for the other 3 pitchers on our team? NO! Every pitcher is different and I am always amazed by coaches who think they are God's gift to pitch calling and one size fits all.

Since this is a varsity team I am going to assume that these players are juniors or seniors in high school. That is a great age for coaches to allow the pitcher and catcher to "step up" and start managing the game. It is time for the coaches to let go of some of the responsibilities. If they are successful you keep them in the circle, if they are not successful you replace the pitcher and/or catcher. You can also make helpful suggestions along the way, but do it as a suggestion or question vs. a directive. "Your change up is really keeping the batters off balance" will be more well received than "throw more change ups".

Coaches who want to micromanage everything need to go back to coaching 10U after their team finishes 14U.

Pitches should be developed by the pitcher, her pitching coach and whoever sits on the bucket (usually a parent) during the countless hours she should be spending working on pitching OUTSIDE of regular team practice and games. It is NOT the job of the team coach to "develop" pitches, unless they are also a qualified pitch coach who is able to charge for lessons and have pitchers who are NOT on their team actually show up and pay.

I will get off my soap box now....

Aug 10, 2015
I guess I don't understand but when I watch most sec games somebody in the dugout calls the pitches not the catcher. The only thing the pitcher decides is how high/low or how far in or out. I agree pitcher and catcher need to learn how to call a game but this should be done thru communication from person calling the pitches and them on why they are calling certain pitches. Coaches need to spend more time learning each individual pitchers strengths and call the game according to this instead of trying to force a pitcher to throw what they want.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I agree pitcher and catcher need to learn how to call a game but this should be done thru communication from person calling the pitches and them on why they are calling certain pitches.

OK...but, when are you going to "test" the students to see if they learned anything? Do they never get to use anything?

Additionally...the coaches that I see calling pitches have never thrown a softball in a game in their life. How did they become experts at pitch calling?

Let's call this what it is...a control issue. The coaches want control...they don't want their players to do anything without being told to.

The result is a bunch of kids who are technically proficient, but have no clue how to play the game.

I guess I don't understand but when I watch most sec games somebody in the dugout calls the pitches not the catcher.

Different situations...the person on the bucket at an SEC game has his/her house payment riding on the season. His/her sole means of support is based on the outcome of the game.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
OK...but, when are you going to "test" the students to see if they learned anything?

Additionally...the coaches that I see calling pitches have never thrown a softball in a game in their life. How did they become experts at pitch calling?.

By your line of logic you are reinforcing OILF's position that players make the best coaches. We know that is a fallacy. A good pitch caller is spending countless hours every year studying pitch calling, and trying to become better through the Internet, videos, books, charts, etc. How many 16 y/o girls do you know that will do the same? Yes, you have a responsibility to make those girls better at calling pitches. Best time for that is in a lopsided game.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I guess I don't understand but when I watch most sec games somebody in the dugout calls the pitches not the catcher. The only thing the pitcher decides is how high/low or how far in or out. I agree pitcher and catcher need to learn how to call a game but this should be done thru communication from person calling the pitches and them on why they are calling certain pitches. Coaches need to spend more time learning each individual pitchers strengths and call the game according to this instead of trying to force a pitcher to throw what they want.

College coaching staffs usually include a pitching coach, most of which are former pitchers. Most teams have scouting reports on opposing batters. College players no longer take private pitching lessons outside of team practices. Players on college scholarships are also essentially paid, so it becomes a job. The college coaches job is dependent on the success of the team.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad