Assistants

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 24, 2013
Saw a team that had a HC and 5 for an 8U team. Looked like a moving purple wall in the dugout. Not talking about team moms and scorekeepers, coaches.

They sure got a lot of coaching. Each girl got reprimanded 6 times for screwing up!

Aug 9, 2013
My team has me as HC and 3 assistants. I've divided responsibilities with I take pitchers/catchers and hitting, AC 1 has infielders, AC 2 has outfielders and is the bench coach to tell the girls to run on DTS and AC 3 is 1st base coach and works baserunning. We have a nice thing going and the day before a practice I'll have the idea of what we need to work on and ask that assistant to take over xx minutes of practice, running drills and tell us what they need from us.

So far so good.

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks all. Yes I am leaning to go minimum. Maybe me and 2 ACs. I don't think a monkey could necessarily do it, but I agree 100% that less is more.

The only issue with this is you become shorthanded when one of them is away on a business trip. We're having that happen with practices and games. I'm also having another coach do 1B and 3B in case one of us has to miss a game.

Dec 29, 2011
Mayville, WI
I agree with most in saying that it's ok to 2-4 assistants as longs as they have very defined roles. With us I have myself (head coach) dealing with the pitcher and catcher and pitch selection. I also coach 3rd base on offense. Then I have one coach in charge of infield positioning and another in charge of outfield positioning. It seems to work out really well...

Apr 7, 2013
Been Coaching for 15+ years and have been on teams with as many as 5 and as few as 2. I can tell you 5 is to many and 2 can work if both are EXTREMELY dedicated. 3 I think is the ideal, 4 isn't bad if the "staff" has a good relationship. 4 can help for work, vacations and sickness.

For me, never more than a HC and two assistants in games. Never.

My current staff is me (HC) and three assistants (all former NCAA players), two of which only come to practice. I like this setup a lot. This means just two of us in games, which is my favorite way to roll.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
We have 5 total "COACHES" 1 HC calls pitches and deals with pitcher/catcher exclusively (12U team) 2 AC/Base Coaches, 1 bench coach/team mom/scorekeeper/all around helper and 1 very new TB coach that is getting experience as a coach. It doesn't work well at all. The first 4 coaches work well together the inexperienced coach is just that and gets in the way at times. I guess when we were all new we did that but assigning her a job isn't ideal as she doesn't understand positional placement based on batters.