Assistants

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Yeah I am asking with regards to summer ball. I just happen to have put together a team of girls with many parents who have been head coaches. Ought to be interesting to say the least.

I run with 2 AC's in games and practices. However, we are an 18U team with several returning college players each year so we don't do much cat herding at practices.

On defense I work with the battery on pitch strategy with 1 AC aligning infield and 1 AC responsible for the outfield. Everyone knows what we are doing with the pitching and adjusts accordingly.

On offense I stay off the field so I can debrief the battery after each inning and adjust the pitching strategy if needed. One AC is at each base and the one AC is also a hitting instructor runs the offense from the coaches box closest to our dugout. We have found that there is nothing magical about running the offense from 3rd base and the ability to be in close proximity to the rest of the team is a great plus. This is especially advantageous when doing showcase tournaments.

Bottom line is that everyone from HC to AC's to players all have clearly defined roles, know what their job is, and is held accountable for performance. Over the past few seasons it has worked pretty well.

Last edited:

KCM

Mar 8, 2012
South Carolina
School ball we had HC, GM and 3 AC. Rec HC and 2 AC. TB HC and 3 AC.

And have to say all three worked because very fortunately we all were on the same page as for leadership and helping the girls. Little bit of Daddy ball creep into school ball once but was diffused very quickly. I am the AC on all three and work as the complaint department / outfield coach. So I do pay attention to the OF every (well almost) pitch.

medicpelle

You are looking live.....
Feb 11, 2013
Grand Lake Oklahoma
I use 3 1/2. Head coach and two assistants with another coach working the tee and net before plate appearances. As many have said all have defined rolls. I work with pitcher/catcher, pitch calling, and pitch/hitter charting. First assistant is responsible for infield/outfield adjustments and movements. Third is also helping with charts. For warm ups its great because we run several stations at a time between games. It all depends what works best for you and who you have that you can trust is on the same page as the HC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pfpsoftball1028