Asked for Help....Do I?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Strange events here lately. Had one of the moms on our team come to me and ask me if I can show her DD the VERY basics of pitching. She's considering taking her DD to a PC, but wants to be sure she's committed, but has no clue how to get her started to test the waters to see if she's going to put in the time. I agreed.... as that's how my DD got started. One of the neighborhood girls that pitched in middle school spent a few weeks with her. I could tell she had the bug. Then we moved on to an experienced PC.

NOW, I get my DW telling me one of her friends from work has a daughter that wants to pitch...and she saw my DD's writeups in the paper during all-star season and asked her if I would spend a few hours with her showing her the basics.

Has this happened to any of you other bucket dads? What did you do?

Jul 26, 2010
I'd steer clear of helping them out. Too many crazies these days. The kid might get shoulder pain a week later and you'll get hit with the lawsuit.

Try to suggest that their kid take a group lesson with 3-4 other kids. They're usually super cheap, $10 or so per kid, and it gives them a good foundation to start from to see if they like it enough to keep going.

My daughter gets hit up with this kind of question all the time and it's the same advice I give her.

-W

Jul 17, 2012
LoL... $10 here gets you the 3 old farts at the beer league field that are trying to raise the nights bar tab.

Take the lawsuit factor out of play (I know these folks pretty well....not crazies)

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
My entire team put on a clinic in 1980. I was asked to throw batting practice for a couple adult teams. That led to a few of them asking me to work with their kids on pitching.

I think 90% of the instructors start teaching just like me, by accident!

Souinds like you are heading down a similar path. People talk, word spreads and word of mouth advertising is still the most trusted form of advertising.

Enjoy the ride. First time a kid you helped wins her first game, you will have the biggest, stupidest grin on your face. Been there .

Jun 24, 2013
I have helped both Teams and individuals for a littlie while then recommend someone smarter then me if they want to continue,

Player/ Dad help DD for a little while, DD helps other pitchers.

I do not think I would do it for someone I did not know.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
For the last few years DD (not me) got a few very young girls started in pitching. She talked daily to her PC about her students and once they decided that they wanted to pitch she sent them to him.

It was an awesome experience for DD and she made a couple of bucks in the process.

Aug 20, 2013
Do you have the time? Do you actually want to? Would you enjoy it? If you answer yes, I would say go for it, but I would charge them. Mom may need to determine if she is committed as well. Your time is def. worth charging for and this is the only way you are going to stop getting all the calls for free help.

We found a PC that was very reasonable by the hour to start and know that if we get really serious we will have to pay more down the road. But even at her rates with 5 kids, she is making about $700 extra a month, so it ain't chump change.

Best of luck!

Jun 24, 2013
We teach our 8U girls the basics and let them take it from there. We teach flick drills, flick with follow thru, K-drills and then they go to full pitching. Of course we recommend stretching before, light overhand throwing and icing afterwards. We tell parents that the girls have to want to put in the time if they really want to be a pitcher.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I would give help on a limited basis. Since you know them and trust the "crazy issue" is not in play. Start with basics of grip, timing, clean arm circle, posture, and front side resistance...beyond that, they should hire a PC on a regular schedule.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pitch Machine Pros