ASA rankings

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 29, 2013
A couple of months ago, I followed a link to an ASA website where they had ranked the top 140 (or so) teams in the U.S. by age group. I can't remember where I saw the link, and I'd like to visit that page again. Does anyone have the website URL for that? Thanks!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'm going to say this without even looking at the rankings - They're largely worthless.

I think they just award points or a computer rating based on the ASA tournaments that are recorded using their tournament bracket software. Some ASA tournament directors use them. Some don't.

I know that in North Carolina, fewer than half of ASA tournaments are recorded on that software. Which is too bad. The ASA has a good platform to report brackets and scores, but they often aren't used. Why is it so hard to find results for ASA nationals and qualifiers? I don't get that.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
What a joke and it is on anyone who gives any credence to such rankings/lists.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
What a joke and it is on anyone who gives any credence to such rankings/lists.

I completely agree, but there was a thread a few months back about some guy ranking all of the 10U teams in SC or NC based on a computer ranking system he developed and a lot of folks on here thought that was really cool.:confused: How is this any different?

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Well again some TD's use Tournament ASA and some don't so how can you have any sort of ranking system? I like when the TD's use it because you can follow the different teams on line, but it costs the TD like $10 per team so I can kind of understand why some don't use it.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I completely agree, but there was a thread a few months back about some guy ranking all of the 10U teams in SC or NC based on a computer ranking system he developed and a lot of folks on here thought that was really cool.:confused: How is this any different?

The difference is that these ASA rankings are based only on ASA tournaments, and only on the ASA tournaments that are entered. Very small sample.

The NC rankings used results from all organizations, and got probably 95 percent of tournaments that were played in the state.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Well again some TD's use Tournament ASA and some don't so how can you have any sort of ranking system? I like when the TD's use it because you can follow the different teams on line, but it costs the TD like $10 per team so I can kind of understand why some don't use it.

Why is it $10 per team? Wow, that's a lot. I guess the tournament software was developed by someone trying to make a profit.

It's a very good program. Virtually all USSSA tournaments produce scores and results that can be seen online. Wish that ASA would do that. It would promote their qualifiers and nationals.

Mar 26, 2013
How is that a team wins 18U Gold, yet they are not ranked?
Look at the ranked teams that were at 18G Nats and you'll see they haven't included those results yet. WG Dunn had a returning berth, so they didn't earn points in qualifiers like most of the teams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG