Aroldis Chapman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Whew... hard to watch.
I know that while I have a say in the matter, my dd and EVERY girl who pitches for one of my teams WILL WEAR A FACE MASK or she won't pitch....period!

Feb 16, 2012
My DD's team - 14u - has told the girls they do not want them wearing them. According to them they have been told that it is a negative in the college search. I know that's an old debate and I do not want to reopen it, it's just what they have said. They have very good relationships with colleges as an organization. My DD pitches and plays third when not pitching. She likes pitching without a mask much better. She would always complain that it bothered her when pitching.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
My DD's team - 14u - has told the girls they do not want them wearing them. According to them they have been told that it is a negative in the college search. I know that's an old debate and I do not want to reopen it, it's just what they have said. They have very good relationships with colleges as an organization. My DD pitches and plays third when not pitching. She likes pitching without a mask much better. She would always complain that it bothered her when pitching.

Yeah I won't go there other than to say I hope attitudes on that front change and sooner rather than later.

Back to Chapman he's getting a plate in his head. I wish him a speedy recovery.

Aug 6, 2013
I made the argument on the PA Board as to why it's OK for a LaX player or Hockey player to wear a Helmet and Grill and they are still considered tough but a 3B who is actively putting herself in front of the projectile is considered week for wanting to wear a grill.

I see more and more girls wearing them they will be the norm - and players with out them will be considered throw backs.

Apr 26, 2012
My niece got hit in the circle about 7yrs ago and it was not a good time in our lives. Thought for sure she'd never pitch again but she put a mask on and got back in the circle a few weeks later. Since that day all my nieces and my daughter wear a mask. Don't care what another coach or parent thinks about it. Put way too much money into her beautiful smile. Besides it doesn't bother her and that's what matters.

Jan 25, 2011
Those that know my dd's accident 2 years ago. She now plays with a lacross helmet on. But she gets to play.

Nov 27, 2010
14U and I make it mandatory for pitchers and corners to wear them. If they don't want to, they either need to play another position or on another team. I have to believe with the number of 14U and under girls wearing them right now, college coaches will have to start recognizing that they are here to stay and there are some ridiculously talented girls that wear them and they will want them on their squad, mask or not. And "thank you" to my DD's pitching coach that originally made her wear it, or he refused to coach her.

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
If the parents/players stand fast in this regard- would not the coaches concede if it meant they were to lose a top flight player- there in lies the problem, I think.. parents and TB coaches need to insist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug