Aroldis Chapman

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 4, 2012
Local D2 coach told a camp full of girls ages 8 to 14 that "my girls will not wear a mask". I cringed when DD told me. Luckily she can think for herself when in the circle or on the corners.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
In HS, I have seen a handful of masks out of hundreds of players. A baseball can really pinpoint an injury, such as right in the eye socket. The ones I have seen with baseballs have been far worse than softballs but all are very rare. I can only think of about 4 balls to the head injuries both baseball and softball in all my years. I see more injuries in warm up (errant throws or pitches), or once a catcher took a throw to the nose in a game that she did not see coming because she had tossed her mask.
Are you saying that because catastrophic facial injuries that can change a young girls life forever and are easily prevented by wearing a mask are rare we shouldn't use them?

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Why would a college coach, or any coach for that matter care? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and I have heard some pretty ridiculous stuff. What does wearing a mask have anything to do with toughness?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
My DD has worn one since she started pitching. Before we have our first team practice each season we always have a parents meeting, and masks are one of the items on our list. We do not mandate their use, but highly recommend them for all pitchers and corner infielders and suggest them for middle infielders. On our team this year, the entire infield wears them except for the second baseman (all have the Rip-It mask). We are a 14u team with mostly 7th and 8th graders. At that age we feel it is more a decision for the parents than the players but allow each family to work it out for themselves.

Based on tournaments from last year, I would estimate that approximately 75% of the pitchers I saw were wearing masks at 14u. But the percentage was much lower at the 16u and 18u games that I watched. I have not attended any showcase tournaments.

Aug 20, 2013
I don't understand the logic of some of the college coaches in regards to facemasks being worn. My daughter will always wear one if playing the corners or pitching as long as I have a say in it. Heck, I cringe everytime she faces a pithcer that is not wearing a mask because she hits ALOT of balls hard back up the middle. This past weekend alone, she hit a pitcher in the leg and then missed another pitchers head by inches in the same game. There's no reason for the girls to not wear protection that is available for them.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has always worn a mask while pitching, but as she has gotten older and fewer girls are wearing them, she has asked if she can stop wearing one too. My response was....."you can stop wearing it when you have paid your mother and I back for all of your dental work, which is currently at $7,212".....I also told her that I want her to be a role model for younger pitchers who will see her wearing one and decide it is cool to wear one too!

Sidebar: I also told DD that if others ask why she wears a mask to respond..."my modeling contract requires it"! LOL

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I've argued this before.... All alphabet Org's should make it mandatory. I have heard the arguments about making this a rule, but I always come back that the exact same arguments were made before the mandatory facemask on the batting helmet rule was emplaced. Now ask the girls who grew up playing with a batting helmet facemask if it bothers them... the answer, No.... the same will be for the defensive facemask.

Dec 19, 2012
Was that at Greenlawn (Berliner)?

No.....it was at the old Queen City Speedway softball complex on Cincinnati-Dayton Road. It happened around 1984 or 1985. The guy's name is Paul. He slid in with his face towards the play. The throw came from RCF towards 3B. The 3B ran up towards 2B like he was cutting off the ball, then fired it to second to try to get Paul out. The throw was too far to the first base side of 2B.

Jun 18, 2010
My DD has always worn a mask while pitching, but as she has gotten older and fewer girls are wearing them, she has asked if she can stop wearing one too. My response was....."you can stop wearing it when you have paid your mother and I back for all of your dental work, which is currently at $7,212".....I also told her that I want her to be a role model for younger pitchers who will see her wearing one and decide it is cool to wear one too!

Sidebar: I also told DD that if others ask why she wears a mask to respond..."my modeling contract requires it"! LOL

I am right there with you. DD had an orthodontist appt yesterday...

Jun 18, 2010
130216-F-ES880-149.jpg

The ball made contact with my face, and I dropped to the ground, screaming. There was blood everywhere.

My face was not a pretty sight--the bone that connects to the top row of teeth was now broken. My left front tooth and the one next to it broke off and pushed back into my mouth. My teeth went through the skin of my upper lip, leaving two gaping holes in it. Blood was oozing onto the field.