Are bats too hot? Ringor article

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Most of the pre-2008 testing were much more durable than todays bats and took a good bit of breaking in. A truly broken in 1B or Phenix is a truly nasty bat. A lot of girls outgrew their bats before they got them broken in fully. Those bats are still around today because of this. Some are on their 4th or more owner. The newer hot out of the wrapper bats are great performers for younger players

I couldn't agree more! That's why they used to command $800-$1500 on Ebay. Now, they're a little more affordable since they've been banned by a few ABC associations.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
I have no doubt it is better athletes and better mechanics. I recently saw a recruiting video of some hs juniors and seniors from about six years ago. They were all top area prospects, all considered beast hitters at the time and all went on to play in college, one at a Large D-1. I came away with the opinion that the entire game of softball has improved.

How long ago did they move the pitching rubber back? That changed the game too. It's a hitters game now.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
The Stealths that everyone wants are 2 piece. I'm guessing the Phenix is too.

Trampoline effect is a marketing term.

You are goofy if you think mechanics haven't improved.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2010
And the mechanics improved while old schoolers clinging to the past were telling Sally to "put it in play" and Bustos was blasting it against and over the fence.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Bats today are hot out of the wrapper, but have a low life expectancy. The stealth and phenix required a break in period but are much stronger bats that will last.
I've got a Miken ultra2 (it's banned in my league) but it's literally about 11 years old and is still crazy hot. Can't say the same for a modern bat.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
I am an old schooler and never heard of any of this different mechanics, either when playing or coaching. Our good and great hitters were good and still would be good and great. They are just bigger now and more of them at the college level. The lower levels, HS and TB, have about the same number of good and bad mechanics. Bad mechanics of yore, K; bad mechanics of today, HR. No penalty for bad mechanics today. Reps does not equal good mechanics, in fact it can mean the opposite.

Bats are so much lighter now, the hitters don't have to be that strong either. Ours were 28 ounces in HS.

Good hitting is not some secret--stick/ball sports been around for decades. It is lack of knowledge of history here that is going on.

OILF, this post is not to pick on you or any other reason. You've made some good points. However, you inadvertently confirmed another post of mine. You state you've never heard of different mechanics. Here's some links to the differences...Rotational Hitting & Linear Hitting: Key Difference, Rotational vs Linear Swing Techniques. As you can see from the second site, Sue Enquist taught the linear swing for many years and as I stated in my other post, through the study of others (most notably to date is Bobby Tewksbary), it is still the most taught swing today for Softball although it is on the decline.

You've also stated that when you played your bat was 28 ounces and today bats are lighter. You're right. This was mandated by the NCAA in 1986 when they limited bat weights, lengths and drop weights for Baseball and Softball alike. Before this time, many thought that women were not able to swing these heavy bats effectively which is why the Linear swing was developed; so that hitters could push the bat through to contact and create hits.

To your third point, bad mechanics with a $300-$400 dollar bat will more than likely result in a K; especially at the higher levels. Yes there is less of a penalty for mediocre mechanics due to the bats being hotter than the traditional wood or aluminum ones but it usually will not result in a HR. I think you may be exaggerating just a little bit.

As to the good points that you made, Repetition of poor swing mechanics, whether it is tee work, front toss, side toss or live pitching is definitely something a hitter does not want to do and only ingrains those poor mechanics further. Also, you are absolutely correct in saying that just because the kid is playing HS orTB that they have good swing mechanics is a fallacy. That all HS and TB coaches are cognizant of what good swing mechanics consist of is also false and some of those same coaches do not want to believe that at their level of play. Of course this is prevalent at some college programs as well. Even at the D1 level some of their hitting coaches turn a blind eye.

IMO the most successful coaches are not afraid to continue to study, have their beliefs challenged on a daily basis, and are willing to change what has been proven a better way to do something. Unfortunately, for many coaches, swing mechanics seems to be one of the few things that they refuse to be challenged on and still believe that what they are teaching is the absolute best even when incontrovertible proof smacks them in the face.

As for lack of knowledge of the history of Softball...well, I'll let you figure out the rest of the sentence;)

P.S. Sorry OILF, I couldn't resist just a little jab.:p

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2012
I am an old schooler and never heard of any of this different mechanics, either when playing or coaching. Our good and great hitters were good and still would be good and great. They are just bigger now and more of them at the college level. The lower levels, HS and TB, have about the same number of good and bad mechanics. Bad mechanics of yore, K; bad mechanics of today, HR. No penalty for bad mechanics today. Reps does not equal good mechanics, in fact it can mean the opposite.

Bats are so much lighter now, the hitters don't have to be that strong either. Ours were 28 ounces in HS.

Good hitting is not some secret--stick/ball sports been around for decades. It is lack of knowledge of history here that is going on.

WOW...!!!! I telling you all there's no way these comments can be of a real person's opinion....he's doing this on purpose.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA