Used bats???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2022
What does cf9, cf8, cf7, etc. stand for? That just different types of carbon fiber?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are model names for the cf. our first was cf5. Then after 9 came the cf zen. Cfs are the best for the little ones. Of note my 12us new lxt is an oz over weight and she hates it compared to the old cf8 she’s swinging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
DeMarini used the number to indicate it was a new model year. The last one in that line was the CFX, or Roman Numeral for 10. They had the CF Zen the following year, but now it's just called the CF. The Zen came out in late 2018, so it's been a while since they numbered their releases.

The CF line has been close to sticker weight for years, so if you're looking for a light-swinging bat, look no further than the DeMarini CF.

Jul 1, 2022
Is it true that the bats will be close to sticker weight for the long versions of the bat, and for the shorter versions, they simply chop off some of the barrel at the end to reach the right length but now the weight could be off?

I picked up a used 2020 Demarini Prism in 28/17 and that thing clocks in at 19oz on a scale! Going to have to keep that in storage for a bit longer before my DD can use it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Is it true that the bats will be close to sticker weight for the long versions of the bat, and for the shorter versions, they simply chop off some of the barrel at the end to reach the right length but now the weight could be off?

I picked up a used 2020 Demarini Prism in 28/17 and that thing clocks in at 19oz on a scale! Going to have to keep that in storage for a bit longer before my DD can use it.

Nothing to do with long version or short version. Many manufacturers have bad drop11 weights and most are due to inner tech. The Demarini
CF/Sprite drop11s (those bats are hollow) are pretty close to sticker and amazingly, Mizuno drop11s are close as well even though they do have inner tech (but they dont make anything under a 30/19). But most other bats, their drop11s are pretty bad weighting. Its very hard to make a drop11 close
to sticker without giving up barrel size when you have inner tech. So they try but most of the time drop11s are off more than the other drops.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
As for used...I always liked used bats for very small girls just starting. Problem is, bat prices have gone thru the roof the past couple
years for used as well. Then you have people on FB that try to make a business of buying used bats so they buy all they can
to just turn around and resell higher. Like some have said here, at those sizes...you dont have to really worry about the bat
being overly hit and no life left...they may look a little rough, but the composite usually isnt abused. For used bats, you kinda
have to stay off FB and look to other sources like forums and other avenues.

Jul 1, 2022
Nothing to do with long version or short version. Many manufacturers have bad drop11 weights and most are due to inner tech. The Demarini
CF/Sprite drop11s (those bats are hollow) are pretty close to sticker and amazingly, Mizuno drop11s are close as well even though they do have inner tech (but they dont make anything under a 30/19). But most other bats, their drop11s are pretty bad weighting. Its very hard to make a drop11 close
to sticker without giving up barrel size when you have inner tech. So they try but most of the time drop11s are off more than the other drops.
What's the difference between a -10 and -11 for a bat that has inner tech? Is there more inner tech mass in the barrel or is it just a heavier end cap?

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
What's the difference between a -10 and -11 for a bat that has inner tech? Is there more inner tech mass in the barrel or is it just a heavier end cap?

No, but your problem is your trying to reduce weight without giving up anything else. thats impossible unless you come in heavy.
You dont wanna make a 30/19 barrel much smaller than a 30/20 or else you wont sell the 30/19. You also cant make composite thinner
as the bat wont pass. So you shorten the barrel a tad and live with the weight overage.
Take a Ghost, LXT or Xeno 29/18...they all run heavy. Now imagine what you would have to do to trim an ounce off of those bats. The barrels
are already tiny.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414