Any suggestions to improve my DD's swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 29, 2013
Right or wrong if this was one of my players I would have her drop her hands 3-4 inches to begin and leave her alone. In my uneducated opinion I think for her age her swing is great and as her confidence grows her hips will get quicker and power increase. If you want to feel better about it come watch our whole league swing it. Again if you were one of my parents I would be saying "leave her alone" and "when is our next game" lol

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She is great! How big is that bat? It is hard to tell, but it looks long.

Work overhand throw with her as much as she wants - and when can she start pitching? :):)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Right or wrong if this was one of my players I would have her drop her hands 3-4 inches to begin and leave her alone. In my uneducated opinion I think for her age her swing is great and as her confidence grows her hips will get quicker and power increase. If you want to feel better about it come watch our whole league swing it. Again if you were one of my parents I would be saying "leave her alone" and "when is our next game" lol

What does dropping her hands gain her, in your opinion?

As I said before, her current swing will probably serve her okay against average pitching, and I agree she'll develop more power as she gets stronger. However, there are definitely some things that can be improved to help her be a lot better than "good enough". The OP came to DFP looking for a path to improvement (as have a lot of us) to help his DD be as good as she wants to be. If she's anything like most DFP'ers DDs, she wants to be as good as she possibly can be, and is willing to do the work to get there. It's our job to educate ourselves enough to give her good direction.

All that said...welcome to DFP, Diamonds! :)

Jun 18, 2010
We will definitely add some TCB balls and Jugs to our daily regimen.

I'd start with a few of jugs "hole" balls (wiffles), based on her size especially if your are throwing a bunch, JMO.

I'm hoping she will develop some good power in a matter of months. Either way, this dad is still proud!

The more you work with her, the more power she'll get... and you should be very proud. Welcome to DFP.

Feb 14, 2010
Cesar,

IMO the biggest thing I would work on now is getting her to turn the barrel. She has bat drag and down the road it will become a huge hinderance for her.

Nov 29, 2013
What does dropping her hands gain her, in your opinion?

As I said before, her current swing will probably serve her okay against average pitching, and I agree she'll develop more power as she gets stronger. However, there are definitely some things that can be improved to help her be a lot better than "good enough". The OP came to DFP looking for a path to improvement (as have a lot of us) to help his DD be as good as she wants to be. If she's anything like most DFP'ers DDs, she wants to be as good as she possibly can be, and is willing to do the work to get there. It's our job to educate ourselves enough to give her good direction.

All that said...welcome to DFP, Diamonds! :)
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.
I realize you have obviously studied the swing and can explain it in mind dizzying depth and I am sure the DFPer's appreciate the job you do educating them. With that being said I believe everyone learns differently and what some can spend hours explaining and over explaining can also sometimes be corrected with something as simple as a 3 or 4 inch adjustment. I'm sure you are probably correct and I am oversimplifying it but that is why it is called a discussion.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thanks for the welcome, I appreciate it.
I realize you have obviously studied the swing and can explain it in mind dizzying depth and I am sure the DFPer's appreciate the job you do educating them. With that being said I believe everyone learns differently and what some can spend hours explaining and over explaining can also sometimes be corrected with something as simple as a 3 or 4 inch adjustment. I'm sure you are probably correct and I am oversimplifying it but that is why it is called a discussion.

You don't know me yet ;) As far as hitting expertise goes, I'm just a dad trying to help his young DD reach her goals. I've been learning about the swing only since my join date on DFP, but I've put a lot of effort into educating myself because it matters to me. I'm not only trying to help my DD, but also help others who are starting down the same road I'm on by sharing what I've learned on my own journey. What I've learned has largely been from people who have been on the road longer than I have.

I wasn't trying to knock down your advice, but understand the "why" behind it. You might know something I don't (it happens frequently) and can apply it to my DD or her teammates. Unfortunately, we sometimes also see people who offer advice that is terrible. Checking the reasoning behind the adjustment helps weed out the junk. ;)

I apologize if I came across as abrasive or snotty. It wasn't my intent.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
The small weighted TCB balls were too heavy for one of my 9yo hitting students. I tried about 3 tosses and she was hurting her wrists. I didn't want to take a chance so I abandoned that drill. Most of my hitting students are bigger 12 YOs. Yes, to the TCB hole balls.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619