Any suggestions to improve my DD's swing?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
The small weighted TCB balls were too heavy for one of my 9yo hitting students. I tried about 3 tosses and she was hurting her wrists. I didn't want to take a chance so I abandoned that drill. Most of my hitting students are bigger 12 YOs. Yes, to the TCB hole balls.

I agree that a tossed TCB can be a bit much for some smaller players. I've had good luck using TCBs off a tee to help them understand about continuing their power through the ball.

Aug 28, 2013
Houston, Texas
She is great! How big is that bat? It is hard to tell, but it looks long.

Work overhand throw with her as much as she wants - and when can she start pitching? :):)

Thanks, Amy.. She uses a 29", 17.5oz. 28" seemed to small when I bought it for her. Thoughts?

She has been bugging me about pitching lessons for about 2 months now. I'm hoping to have her in lessons by February to get her ready for her move up to 10u in the fall of 2014. Luckily, the gentleman who trained Cat Osterman as a young girl lives in my neighborhood. We plan on using him come February.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
For her age she looks great. I'm sure there are tweaks to her swing that could make her even better but I'd say good job on starting her on the right path.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
The small weighted TCB balls were too heavy for one of my 9yo hitting students. I tried about 3 tosses and she was hurting her wrists. I didn't want to take a chance so I abandoned that drill. Most of my hitting students are bigger 12 YOs. Yes, to the TCB hole balls.

Sorry to side track but if they are hitting correct the TCBs shouldn't hurt in my experience regardless of age. When they are using poor form is when the wrists start to hurt. You probably already know this though. If she is getting hurt don't continue but after making adjustments to her swing, try them again and see if she is still having pain. I used TCBs with our U8 team last summer and had no complaints of wrist pain from any of the 12 girls but I never let them hit more than about 6. Now my 9 yo routinely hits a round or two of soft toss with no wrist issues. She weighs about 65 lb for reference.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez