Any suggestions in switching from 11 in to 12 in ball.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I had a parent ask me what my daughter and I did to switch from a 11 inch ball to a 12 inch ball, basically all we did was switch from one size to the other. We also did some work with an oversize ball 14 inch.

He wanted some drills to help with the switch over I advised him I did not know of anything pacifically, but I would ask people on the forum. :cool:

So does anyone use, or know of any drills or anything to help switch over from 11 – 12 inch ball?

Thanks.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Yes,

The same way you did it.

Move them back to 40' and hand them a 12" ball and say 'pitch like you always have'

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
the biggest adjustment we made, and the most time spent was getting a bigger glove to handle the bigger ball.

Once we got the new glove broke in everything was pretty much like Marriard said

Oct 31, 2010
Yes,

The same way you did it.

Move them back to 40' and hand them a 12" ball and say 'pitch like you always have'

That's what we did too, and I used the pitching machine to start the break in for the new glove.

Apr 6, 2012
First, don't make a big deal of it. Then, just start practicing with it. Overall I find the kids adjust fairly quickly. It's the parents who fret over it.

May 17, 2012
Typically the bigger adjustment is the moving of the mound from 35 ft to 40 ft.

Donate the small balls to a team that can use them. Don't go back and forth trying to use both balls. Some PC's try to use the smaller balls to teach different pitches (curve, screw, etc.). It didn't work well with my DD.

Once she started with the big ball she hated to throw the smaller one.

Just my experience.

Jul 20, 2012
We moved up to a 12" ball last Fall. After the first practice almost all of the girls complained about sore muscles in their forearm. It appears that holding/throwing the larger ball caused the muscle strain. After that, we had the girls warm up with a drill to strengthen their forearm. I had them pair up ~10 feet apart. They start by throwing with their glove hand holding their elbow 90 degrees to their shoulder. The girl then flips the ball to her partner. We focus on isolating the forearm and wrist. after 8-10 tosses they move farther apart to ~15 feet for another 10-12 throws.

We then stand up and throw normally moving farther back as they get stronger.

It seemed to work well for our team. I can't say that the drill fixed the problem or not, but anything that can SAFELY increase arm strength can't hurt.

Jul 26, 2010
Have her pitch with a 14" ball for a day or so, then hand her a 12" ball. It will feel small and she'll think she's throwing 80 (so will her dad).

-W

May 31, 2012
First, don't make a big deal of it. Then, just start practicing with it. Overall I find the kids adjust fairly quickly. It's the parents who fret over it.

Agreed. We are currently switching to 12" ball. Don't make a big deal out of it. The extra 5 ft does make the pitch seem slower and big ball doesnt go as far when hit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish