Another recruiting talk.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 20, 2012
I think you missed my point.

The question poised is "why would someone chose to receive only book money when they could get a full scholarship from x university"?.

Some players may forgo a full ride from a D2, to get little or no money from a Top D1 with a national reputation for academic excellence because they value an education just as much as playing time.

Now, whether or not you feel its unfair for schools to lessen admission standards for athletes is a completely different discussion.

Why would anyone choose to be a teacher that pays less $$ than an investment banker or engineer. If money is the deciding factor for all of your decisions, your life your choice. But some kids will take less to almost no $$ to play for a coach that they really like, stay in a specific part of the country, be part of a tradition, ....The reasons are endless. What if the school offering top $ has an a$$ for a coach or sb team is treated like second class citizens. Can't put a price on happiness.

Mar 26, 2013
Or is it a way for a good but not great student to get into a top school (e.g Berkeley, Stanford, etc) who might not have the grades and test scores to get in otherwise? Just asking?
I think you missed my point.

The question poised is "why would someone chose to receive only book money when they could get a full scholarship from x university"?.
Now, whether or not you feel its unfair for schools to lessen admission standards for athletes is a completely different discussion.
Wow...

Some players may forgo a full ride from a D2, to get little or no money from a Top D1 with a national reputation for academic excellence because they value an education just as much as playing time.
FTR, full rides are rarer at D2 than D1. D2 max is 7.2 schollies IF they're fully funded - and many are not.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2013
I doubt all that happens in softball--the lowering of academic standards. They want you to meet the academic requirements. It is not football.
It happens in softball - I've seen kids with mediocre academic credentials get into schools they wouldn't have a chance without softball. The amount of exception varies by school/program - including football. The rumored deal-breaker between Notre Dame and a highly sought-after football coach was the number of admissions exemptions he could have. He ended up at a Big Ten school.

Added: "Grades" are a frequent reason a verbal commitment in softball is terminated. It is unclear how many of these were unavoidable vs a convenient out by coaches that lost interest in a recruit.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA