Another recruiting talk.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 14, 2010
As Rise stated, a books only scholarship is very prevalent within softball. Mostly for power conference schools. It makes zero sense for anyone to take that but that's just me I guess.

It would be interesting to know if the minimum is 25%. My guess is that is not correct or it may only apply to division 1. I know my scholorship was less than 25% at D1...but the rules may have changed...after all, it has been over 20 years ago!

25% is the minimum required to be considered a scholarship athlete. Only those that get at least 25% sign and have to abide by a National Letter Of Intent. I heard this first hand from several D1 coaches during my daughters recruiting process.

Oct 14, 2008
As Rise stated, a books only scholarship is very prevalent within softball. Mostly for power conference schools. It makes zero sense for anyone to take that but that's just me I guess.

I have never understood that my self. Some kids will give up good money at a Mid Major to get books on a Major. I guess taking a chance at going to the big dance out weighs all the college loans they will have after 4/5 years.

Mar 26, 2013
25% is the minimum required to be considered a scholarship athlete. Only those that get at least 25% sign and have to abide by a National Letter Of Intent. I heard this first hand from several D1 coaches during my daughters recruiting process.
There's no basis for that within the D-I manual or the National Letter of Intent program. At best, this was specific to a school or conference. Here's an excerpt from www.nationalletter.org - Administrative Guidelines.

FINANCIAL AID REQUIREMENT: Financial aid awarded by an institution to a prospective student-athlete must conform to the rules and regulations of the NCAA, the awarding institution and of that institution's conference(s), if any. The athletics aid award shall not be awarded for more than one academic year in Division II. Multiyear athletics aid is permissible in Division I. The offer must list the terms and conditions of the award and must be for the entire academic year.

There's no basis for that within the D-I manual or the National Letter of Intent program. At best, this was specific to a school or conference. Here's an excerpt from www.nationalletter.org - Administrative Guidelines.

FINANCIAL AID REQUIREMENT: Financial aid awarded by an institution to a prospective student-athlete must conform to the rules and regulations of the NCAA, the awarding institution and of that institution's conference(s), if any. The athletics aid award shall not be awarded for more than one academic year in Division II. Multiyear athletics aid is permissible in Division I. The offer must list the terms and conditions of the award and must be for the entire academic year.

It was hearsay, but it was hearsay from Pac 12 Coaches.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I have never understood that my self. Some kids will give up good money at a Mid Major to get books on a Major. I guess taking a chance at going to the big dance out weighs all the college loans they will have after 4/5 years.

I have seen it more than once. Player has questionable skills to play in the top level and parents have deep pockets. Symbolism is valued over substance so would rather ride the pine at an SEC/PAC12 school and say they "played" there than go some place an get their uniform dirty. With the help of $500 a year in books + $30k from dad for tuition they get to throw BP or catch in the bull pen for four years. If they are fast they get to run once in a blue moon. Who knows if the team gets the flu or they are one of the few that does not eat the coleslaw that sat in the sun for 3 hours they might get to start a game or two. :)

Feb 7, 2013
I have seen it more than once. Player has questionable skills to play in the top level and parents have deep pockets. Symbolism is valued over substance so would rather ride the pine at an SEC/PAC12 school and say they "played" there than go some place an get their uniform dirty. With the help of $500 a year in books + $30k from dad for tuition they get to throw BP or catch in the bull pen for four years. If they are fast they get to run once in a blue moon. Who knows if the team gets the flu or they are one of the few that does not eat the coleslaw that sat in the sun for 3 hours they might get to start a game or two. :)

Or is it a way for a good but not great student to get into a top school (e.g Berkeley, Stanford, etc) who might not have the grades and test scores to get in otherwise? Just asking?

Feb 14, 2010
Exactly Rise. My philosophy when it comes to softball recruiting is, money shows you how much a school wants you.

Feb 7, 2013
Would that be a good thing? Standards exist for a reason.

I think you missed my point.

The question poised is "why would someone chose to receive only book money when they could get a full scholarship from x university"?.

Some players may forgo a full ride from a D2, to get little or no money from a Top D1 with a national reputation for academic excellence because they value an education just as much as playing time.

Now, whether or not you feel its unfair for schools to lessen admission standards for athletes is a completely different discussion.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA