Another phenom story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I have heard of football players changing schools to get on a better team that will go to the playoffs and get more exposure to college recruiters, but there is no TB program for football. The Batbusters is where she is going to get her exposure, so changing high schools to get on a better softball team seems ridiculous....

I think any serious softball player would love a chance to play on a very good high school team, especially one that could win a state title. Not saying it's so attractive that LOTS of kids are transferring for those reasons, but it does happen. In Georgia, there's a school you've probably heard about that has won five straight state titles and has open enrollment (anybody can attend that school w/ tuition). I can't imagine that all those good softball players just happened to grow up in that small town. Some just wanted to be a part of that program. Same state, 10 years ago, there was a Cobb County school that won back-to-back state titles with several elite players that transferred b/c the coach was really good. And not that there's anything wrong with that. But I think the carrot of playing for a team that can make a run at state, especially if it is well-coached and can bring a lot of recognition, is appealing to kids (and their parents), even if it has little to do w/ recruiting.

Nov 5, 2009
St. Louis MO
High school ball might not have a lot to do with recruiting in most cases; however, the exception is when you play for a school that goes to the final four for your state. The standouts on those teams most often make All State, where as equally good players not on a state contending team most likely will not. College coaches do attend the state high school tournament - at least in our state. Those same players seem to be covered in the local press more frequently the following year. It may not hurt a player to not be on a state contending high school team for recruitment purposes, but it sure helps if you are.