Another phenom story

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Maybe, there are stories all over about moving schools. Take for an example, in our State, Medford, OR isn't very big. They have 2 HS, one is always in the top for Softball, the other near the bottom. If your a player, which team would you rather play for (by the way these schools are less than 8 miles apart.)

I don't know about the player but as a parent I'm choosing the one with the better more rigorous academic program.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I don't know about the player but as a parent I'm choosing the one with the better more rigorous academic program.

Thats what they all say, the biggest ones are the private schools. "We're moving schools because of footba..... errrr I mean academic advancement". All the while State Championship Banners hang all over the place.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I know all about the unofficial "recruting" but it doesn't really apply to my kids. It really is all about the academics. Sports are a distant 2nd or 3rd for the older 2. We'll see if that changes with the little one.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Thats what they all say, the biggest ones are the private schools. "We're moving schools because of footba..... errrr I mean academic advancement". All the while State Championship Banners hang all over the place.

As I mentioned before, I could see doing it for football since HS is the primary recruiting grounds for college coaches, but in softball it seems unnecessary because of TB, unless the HS softball coach is a real bone head!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
That is true JAD, but it does happen a lot more than people think. Maybe getting a State Title? IDK because our HS hasn't really come close lol.... Quarterfinals is the best in school history.

Jul 26, 2010
Are we sure she moved because of softball? If she already verballed to UCLA, it's more of a reason to move for academics. That said, it's very likely her TB coaches didn't agree with her HS coach and suggested that she move or face boneheaded coaching telling her to squish the bug and absorb ground balls.

-W

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Both of those HS programs, Valencia and Saugus, are perennially among the top in their area. Both seem to be well coached and usually field pretty strong teams. Maybe somebody can peruse heyBucket for the "real" story......:)