Another Drop 3rd question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 6, 2013
Having a catcher DD, yall are making me cringe at the talk of positioning at tags at the plate, ready for collision and the such. Catcher should never be in the baseline eating for the ball. Nor should she "block the plate" once she gets it. If she is positioned correctly, the runner is just as out as she would have been, and there will be no spikes to the thigh or broken legs or busted joints to the runner. At least, in my opinion, and in apparently in that of NECC.

Jul 6, 2013
Not only that, but if that throw is 15 feet further away, it is now obstruction on the catchers part because she wasn't in possession of the ball or in the act of possessing the ball when the girl got to the plate. Safe at home.

Mar 26, 2015
Sebastopol, Ca.
We had the same situation yesterday at a 10U game in Sebastopol, Ca. Blue made the right call, then other coach said base wasn't occupied because of steal. Blue went with other coach so I stepped out and questioned it and Blue said I was right so batter was out.

Short time later the president of our league showed and described it as unoccupied if steal starts before strike called. I backed off starting to second guess myself.

Thank you all for clearing it up!!! Gonna discuss it with the pres next time I see her!!

Oct 22, 2009
PA
Yep...not the first time I've had an umpire make up his own rules. I had another guy at the same park claim during a USSSA tournament that my runner going Home was out because she didn't slide. She tripped over the catcher's outstretched leg...catcher didn't even have the ball.

That's why they call it "U-trip".:cool:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00