Another Drop 3rd question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
I had a similar situation...my team batting...one out...runner on 1B...two strikes. I sent the 1B runner at the pitch...swing & miss by the batter...drop by the catcher. Batter runs anyway, as she's been told, and the catcher throws unnecessarily down to 1B.

The ump correctly called the batter out before the throw, but he ruled that my batter running to 1B "confused" the defense, and he put the runner who stole 2B back on 1B.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. The defense is responsible for knowing the situation and making the appropriate play. The advance of your base runner should have stood.

Oct 24, 2010
I had a similar situation...my team batting...one out...runner on 1B...two strikes. I sent the 1B runner at the pitch...swing & miss by the batter...drop by the catcher. Batter runs anyway, as she's been told, and the catcher throws unnecessarily down to 1B.

The ump correctly called the batter out before the throw, but he ruled that my batter running to 1B "confused" the defense, and he put the runner who stole 2B back on 1B.

How did your protest turn out?

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Wrong, wrong, wrong. The defense is responsible for knowing the situation and making the appropriate play. The advance of your base runner should have stood.

Yep...not the first time I've had an umpire make up his own rules. I had another guy at the same park claim during a USSSA tournament that my runner going Home was out because she didn't slide. She tripped over the catcher's outstretched leg...catcher didn't even have the ball.

May 30, 2011
Yep...not the first time I've had an umpire make up his own rules. I had another guy at the same park claim during a USSSA tournament that my runner going Home was out because she didn't slide. She tripped over the catcher's outstretched leg...catcher didn't even have the ball.
Wow! Out for being tripped. That's a good one. :eek:

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA

DD is in 10U rec. We get A LOT of new girls who don't understand drop 3rd strike so as a coaching group we coach all of our players to run on ALL 3rd strikes. With al the inexperienced catchers in our league you shouldn't be surprised at all the calamity it creates. Not that we are trying to be cheap tricks on the field to our advantage, we're just trying to get the players in the mindset to run after a strike out and not pout, hang their heads and walk back to the dugout. DD is an experienced catcher and knows better then to throw the ball away.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA

That sounds to me like the ump is compensating for the age of the players or the level of play. His call was otherwise wrong.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
That sounds to me like the ump is compensating for the age of the players or the level of play. His call was otherwise wrong.

It was a 12U tournament with no restrictions other than six runs per side.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
DD is in 10U rec. We get A LOT of new girls who don't understand drop 3rd strike so as a coaching group we coach all of our players to run on ALL 3rd strikes. With al the inexperienced catchers in our league you shouldn't be surprised at all the calamity it creates. Not that we are trying to be cheap tricks on the field to our advantage, we're just trying to get the players in the mindset to run after a strike out and not pout, hang their heads and walk back to the dugout. DD is an experienced catcher and knows better then to throw the ball away.

Exactly. I tell the kids that they don't get to decide when they're out. In fact, I don't even want them interpreting what they think the umpire said. If they're out, one the coaches will let them know. Until that happens, keep playing.

BTW...there are plenty of parents, coaches, and even umpires that don't fully understand D3K. If there's one person you hope gets it, it's YOUR catcher.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
This fall, my son who was 10 was playing in LL fall ball. Our coach was a guy who didn't really know baseball well and hadn't coached at the Major level. We are playing a game and a kid strikes out with the bases loaded and 2 outs. Someone yells "run" to the kids. The coach says "No you can't because first is occupied". The catcher tags the runner out. This all happens over a couple of seconds and then it's quiet. All of a sudden I hear, "Coach, we just went over this the other night" from DS. He said it as nice a way as possible but I couldn't stop laughing.

Dec 19, 2012
My dd playing HS her freshman year. After the play was over the coach at 3rd questioned the call at home because my dd "blocked the plate and did not give the runner a lane to the plate. You can see the umpire leave the screen so he could explain the play to the coach:

Video deleted. I forgot the thread pertained to uncaught 3rd strikes, and my brain was in "people should know the rules" mode........lol

Sorry

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad