Another Drop 3rd question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
My dd playing HS her freshman year. After the play was over the coach at 3rd questioned the call at home because my dd "blocked the plate and did not give the runner a lane to the plate. You can see the umpire leave the screen so he could explain the play to the coach:

Video deleted. I forgot the thread pertained to uncaught 3rd strikes, and my brain was in "people should know the rules" mode........lol

Sorry

What a ripoff. I wanted to see the video!!!

Mar 2, 2013
Can't tell from this angle if it is obstruction or not. You need to see the runner's moves, not just the catcher. If the runner had altered her path in an attempt to find her way to home plate because the catcher who was not get in possession of the ball was obstructing her access to the plate, then you may have obstruction.

Other things to note: The plate umpire moved far too much up the 3rd base line, rather than staying 1st baseline extended, so he was actually behind the play. His out call is also over the top, literally, as he is standing over top the player. That's a bit too much in your face for me.

Dec 19, 2012
You can see the on deck batter telling the runner to slide to the outside, albeit a little late. My dd initially sets up to the fair side of the plate. The throw causes my dd to shift to the foul side of home plate. It then appears the runner tries to change direction and touch home on the fair side of home plate. The girl did a "barrel roll" and she ended up paying for it. My dd said the girl was wincing and groaning so she checked on her to see if she was okay.

Jun 4, 2013
Orange County, CA
I like the video, looks like a good stuff to me. DD usually positions her self straight in front of plate and sags a bit to the 3rd base lane. When the play comes her way she drops her left leg/shinguard down with ball in glove to block the plate. Almost as if she is blocking an inside pitch, but a bit lower and ready for a collision.

Should probably start a thread in the catchers forum about proper catcher positioning when ball is in play.

Im at work right now so I can't do it just now, lol

Last edited:

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
There is no rule against a player blocking any base. There is no rule requiring a defender to give the runner access to the base. Nor does doing so alleviate the defense from an obstruction call.

What the rules do state is that a defender without possession of the ball (or in NCAA, "about to receive" the ball) cannot impede a runner. In the video, no impediment is visible, so you really cannot offer a knowledgeable ruling. Same with the still above

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad