Another Catcher Trying To Get A Call

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Had there actually been a play, that is an easy batter's interference call ...

... followed by a stern conversation with the coach and the catcher about the stupidity on display complete with a team warning. My apologies to the catcher, as I am not calling you stupid, but that was stupidity on display. Flopping is being cracked down on in all sports, and that is the softball version of flopping.

Another umpire learning moment ... Fellow umpires, STOP NOT CALLING batter's interference when there isn't a throw. This has perpetuated the myth that there has to be a throw which has perpetuated these shenanigans as catchers try to "demonstrate" the interference. If the batter commits any action that hinders the catcher from making a play (a throw is NOT required and whether the catcher "had a chance to get the runner" is NOT required) THEN MAKE THE CALL.

So what was the call in-game? It looks like U2 (why is he behind third base?) is making an interference call but then loses his hat, so I'm not sure.

Jul 10, 2023

... followed by a stern conversation with the coach and the catcher about the stupidity on display complete with a team warning. My apologies to the catcher, as I am not calling you stupid, but that was stupidity on display. Flopping is being cracked down on in all sports, and that is the softball version of flopping.

Another umpire learning moment ... Fellow umpires, STOP NOT CALLING batter's interference when there isn't a throw. This has perpetuated the myth that there has to be a throw which has perpetuated these shenanigans as catchers try to "demonstrate" the interference. If the batter commits any action that hinders the catcher from making a play (a throw is NOT required and whether the catcher "had a chance to get the runner" is NOT required) THEN MAKE THE CALL.

So what was the call in-game? It looks like U2 (why is he behind third base?) is making an interference call but then loses his hat, so I'm not sure.
Discussion, but no call either way, play continued. Think warnings may have been issued, not quite sure. I do know before the game our coaches were warned about their tactics by the umps, and at one point they called the head official over to discuss what was going on during the game. I sit in the outfield (to spare others from my outbursts lol) so I learn a lot of the info after the fact through our coaches and parents.

Jul 27, 2021

Nope. Not even close.
The catcher is obviously engaged in unsportsmanlike behavior. That can not be rewarded.

Once again, it is obvious that the catcher is not "making a play" even if there was one. The catcher is seeking out a collision to draw a call.

Looks like umps at the game and online fell for the antics with a no call or against the innocent party/team.
Discussion, but no call either way, play continued. Think warnings may have been issued, not quite sure. I do know before the game our coaches were warned about their tactics by the umps, and at one point they called the head official over to discuss what was going on during the game. I sit in the outfield (to spare others from my outbursts lol) so I learn a lot of the info after the fact through our coaches and parents.
Why are umps and admins allowing this bs behavior to continue??

Apr 14, 2022
Parents have to step up and shut coaches down. Trying to win the wrong way is not worth winning. Warnings will just go to the next game. However birds of a feather do flock together.

It is not interference. The catcher is making a play on the batter.

May 13, 2023
It is not interference. The catcher is making a play on the batter.
✔️ the team and Coach obviously had a prior reputation if it came with a warning now the video will follow that team and Coach around further.

Now to ask the question....
Who will step up and take this junk'ola
to their organizational administrators?
Time to drop kick a coach.

Jun 8, 2016
✔️ the team and Coach obviously had a prior reputation if it came with a warning now the video will follow that team and Coach around.

Now to ask the question....
who will step up and take this junk'ola
to their organizational administrators?
Time to drop kick a coach.
I don't get why the parent of the catcher didn't go to the coach the first time their kid did it..You don't have to know a lot about the game to see that isn't right.

May 13, 2023
I don't get why the parent of the catcher didn't go to the coach the first time their kid did it..You don't have to know a lot about the game to see that isn't right.
Yep where did scruples go?
Going with
Cult following happens in sports too.....

May 29, 2015
Nope. Not even close.
The catcher is obviously engaged in unsportsmanlike behavior. That can not be rewarded.

Once again, it is obvious that the catcher is not "making a play" even if there was one. The catcher is seeking out a collision to draw a call.

Looks like umps at the game and online fell for the antics with a no call or against the innocent party/team.

Why are umps and admins allowing this bs behavior to continue??

Don’t get me wrong, I am 1000% behind getting the chicanery out of the game. That includes umpires with solutions looking for problems.

That was not a malicious contact. The catcher didn’t do anything that put anybody in harm’s way (unlike the one who was throwing at batters’ heads). So you are going to eject a kid for being a hammy actor? Nothing there warranted an ejection in that moment.

Was it unsportsmanlike? Ehhh … nothing happened but a coach made a kid look foolish. It certainly isn’t good and it could have turned into something. Like I said, it was the equivalent of flopping.

“But … but … but … they have a history!” So kick the coach out at the plate meeting if you want to be that guy. Let me know how your umpiring career goes. Every game is a new game. You may give them a shorter leash, but you still have to give them a leash.

A team warning in this spot provides much more leverage, a much broader brush to paint with the rest of the game, and a much larger net when it comes time to haul in the fish.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA