advise please

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 31, 2016
My DD plays currently for a 12u team that isn't what she expected when she accepted the spot last summer(coaching change). She wants more games and instructions, The spring/summer season will total 4 tournaments.
Last year she had a choice between the team she is on and another team, well the other team that she turned down invited her to a practice last week and she went and had a great experience. The team really has improved and clearly are what she's looking for. Now for the monkey wrench...while we were at a game watching, the HS coach came over and talked to us asking if she would be interested in a spot if he added a 13u team to an established organization she of course said yes he's a great coach .
Yesterday we got a call from the team she practiced with offering her a spot. How do we delay answering this until we find out what the HC is going to do. she is still 3 weeks away from her last tournament. My gut says just be honest. Thanks

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
I'd be honest but tactful, and leave out too many details. Something along the lines of, "She's been presented with some additional opportunities and we're assessing what would work best for our family. Please be patient with us - we are very interested in your offer and you're a top choice."

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Sep 29, 2014
Assuming THE high school coach would eventually be HER high school coach? If it is with an already established organization it seems like it might be more likely than not going to happen but who would the coach of that team be (are you 100% sure it would be the HS coach)? Just seems like there are a lot of unknowns for the new team versus the established team....these choices are never easy and you usually only know if you made the wrong decision when it's too late to do much about it.

Did the team offer have an expiration date? They might be trying to lock things up before the tryout circus commences in a month or so. Probably best to be upfront "we are really interested and really like everything your organization is offering but we would like to wait a few weeks before finalizing anything; is there a time that you need our answer by?"

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Take whichever offer is best for your family. After all those coaches are taking what is best for them. I haven't met a coach that asks parents if they mind if they add a player mid season. I also haven't met a parent that lets a coach know that they are searching for a new team mid season. These are the un-written rules of youth travel softball

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
while we were at a game watching, the HS coach came over and talked to us asking if she would be interested in a spot if he added a 13u team to an established organization she of course said yes he's a great coach .
Yesterday we got a call from the team she practiced with offering her a spot. How do we delay answering this until we find out what the HC is going to do. she is still 3 weeks away from her last tournament. My gut says just be honest. Thanks

Generally, your DD needs to play the game. It is in everyone's best interests (including the HS coach) for your DD to be playing on a team. The worst situation is for her to not play.

So, call the HS coach and say (a) your DD has an opportunity to play for another team and (b) will he be able to pull at 13YOA team together?

Tell the coach the usual stuff: Your DD loves softball, and looks forward to playing for him at HS. She really needs to be on a team this year so she can continue to improve. She will play on his team if he had one up and running, but she really needs to find a team.

Unless the HS coach says, "The first tournament is this weekend", your DD should go to the team that made her an offer.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
In GA most TB teams hold tryouts in August. I would suggest sticking with her current team and playing pickup whenever you can until tryouts for next season.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anafeli