A Sad Day and a long post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
My dad passed away after a year long battle with colon cancer - he was 54. This was 11 years ago. My mom said later that it was a comfort to him that both my brother and I were married and settled so he didn't have to worry about us. Likewise, I'll bet having you coach his daughter was a comfort to this dad; he knew that his daughter was settled and doing well in that part of her life.

Aug 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
cancer sucks. :( Thank you for sharing your very heart wrenching story. We all have something to learn from your story: take the time to listen, sometimes going with your gut instinct has a reason/place in your life, and enjoy everyone in your life...make an impact (he certainly did...).

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Once in a great while we are lucky enough to meet an individual that will make an impact on our lives such as he did with yours. My family offers our condolences to both you and this young girl's family.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
GOD works in mysterious ways... that man was an angel sent to you, so that you could share his influence with your players, their families, and us, and now our families!
Prayers to you and his family.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My father died when I was 9. One of the most vivid memories I have of that time was my brother's HS football coach being there for our family. Among other things, his wife came to watch me and my younger sister when my mom was out making arrangements. Its a hard thing for sure, but its also a time to show a bunch of kids and families what being a team is all about. Band together and see how you can all help. It will be remembered forever.

mike s

Pitcher's Dad
Jul 18, 2011
Northern IL
Thanks for your post; it helps keep this FP thing in perspective. Years ago when I was a reservist Platoon Sgt. I had a young soldier die of some type of Cancer. I was amazed to learn from his friends and family how important I was to him during his struggle. We never really know how much influence as leaders (coaches) we have on the people entrusted to our care. BTW Luvmykids I think your post must have a virus it seems to cause monitors to get bleary as Insidepitch mentioned. Thank you and the others for sharing your story. Godspeed to you, your team and especially her family. Mike

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Do you plan on honoring the dad in some way? Maybe with a patch sewn on the uniform? When my nephew died from cancer, I ordered those silicone bracelets, with his name on them. They come in a medium size, which is better for females.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619