A Sad Day and a long post

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 31, 2011
I hardly know what to say- one of the most thought-provoking, heart-wrenching posts I have ever read. At times, I can be hard on my daughter and the kids I coach- this certainly puts things in perspective. Thanks for sharing and my condolences go out to you and your girls. Wish my daughter had to honor of playing for you.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
As a softball coach for the past eight years, I can say that my teams become giant families over the course of a season. It's not surprising to hear how much the passing of a parent affected you. What a wonderful post and tribute to a man that sounds like a great parent and person.

Apr 3, 2013
Thank you all for the kind words and support. The funeral was this past Monday. It was a beautiful service, complete with singing "Take Me Out to the Ball Game". The sons team was there in full uniform. My team was there, not in uniform, but in pretty dresses:) There had to be close to 200 people in attendance. After there was a brief receiving line and lunch. The boys went and played some basketball. The girls kind of stood on the sideline and watched for about 5 minutes, then my daughter came to me and asked, "these boys aren't very good, can we go over and show them how to play?" I just told her to tell her teammates to be careful as they were all in dresses, but go for it. And a rousing pick up basketball game ensued with the adults just smiling and watching and talking and laughing and crying, some, too. It was a beautiful remebrance of a man that left to soon.

We are getting decals for our helmets to support the family and in remembrance. It will be the lavender cancer ribbon with his initials. We are playing a tournament this weekend, and we could get those made in time versus a patch to add to our uniforms.

Our team has donated money to cover the playing and travel costs for the player. The older teams also donated money and attended the funeral. I couldn't be more proud of a group of people and it is a priveledge to be associated with all of them.

When we win the tournament this weekend (I teach my players to be humble, but play with a chip on their shoulder, be respectful, but never lose confidence, and to love each other as sisters, which includes the ocassional arguement), the players are going to walk over and give the mother the trophy and the player their individual medals as a show of support. If we don't win, then we are just going to walk over and give the mother a hug. That might be more meaningful anyway.

We are working with the local ASA director to see if we can take a gate at a tourney or put together a memorial tourney in the fall or maybe just work a concession stand for a couple of hours to raise money for the family, too. I just want something positive to come out of this in some way.

Anyway, thank you again!! See you at the ball park and on the softball fields.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619