9 Hole Target

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 19, 2016
Has anyone ever bought one of these? I am thinking the ones that attach to a bownet are going to be useless because they move too much. Probably the ones that look like bownets as well...they also seem too tall for me. The best ones seem like the rigid frame ones but they seem heavy and bulky. Any thoughts?

Mar 15, 2019
California
Each have their pros and cons.

For the 9 hole target that attaches to the net, the benefit is that the balls all collect rather easily in the net. The downside is that after so many pitches to the target, the small weights holding the target strips break loose and the fabric starts to curl and move in the wind.

For the rigid frames, they can take a beating and accurately tell you where the ball went since each hole has a pocket. The downside is that if you hit the surrounding frame, the ball ricochets quite a bit. If you are working in a backyard, you'll need plenty of space to account for this or be inside a cage.

Feb 14, 2019
Has anyone ever bought one of these? I am thinking the ones that attach to a bownet are going to be useless because they move too much. Probably the ones that look like bownets as well...they also seem too tall for me. The best ones seem like the rigid frame ones but they seem heavy and bulky. Any thoughts?
We picked up a used Zone-In pitching target with the optional zone isolators for a good price from a former HS pitcher's parents. The zone isolators are very thick and have some SERIOUS velcro on them to hold them to the target. You can configure them just about any way you want. DD likes it for pitching purposes and it can be used as a throwing target for fielding practice also. It's seen a ton of use and still looks like new (it's always stored indoors, even after using it outside on occasion, so weather exposure might give you a different experience).
home_large.jpg

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
We have the Tanner 9 Hole Pitcher's Pocket that my daughter uses for pitching. If you're outdoors in a cage, it works great and will take a pounding, but it is heavy. The ones that hang from a net are useless in even mild wind.

Aug 21, 2008
Upfront disclaimer, I've never used one of these personally, other than just goofing around. And as a coach, I don't use one. I'm not saying there's no value in it. But I will say this, and this is just a generic statement about this product and others out there because it always seems like people are always trying to build a better mousetrap.

It's just impossible to simulate what a pitcher goes through in a game, it can't be done without playing games. Now I realize nobody is suggesting that this be used instead of playing games, but my point is, you can have all the training aids you want, all the tools at your disposal, best pitching coach in the world and all the targets for practice, like this thing and then when you're on the field in a real game, everything changes. You can say it shouldn't matter, and you'll "do in a game what you do in practice" and all the other cliche's. But you cannot simulate the real game feel, the adrenaline, the effects of a HR being hit, an error behind you in the field (which then brings up the best hitter behind her), the reaction to an umpire having a horrible strike zone, the ground conditions (which sometimes change drastically each inning based on what the other pitcher does making holes, digging trenches with the drag, etc). I've used this analogy before: it's similar to hitting golf balls at the driving range. When I'm there, I can hit the ball very long and usually very straight. But then on the golf course, everything changes. Regardless of the fact that I'm using the same club, same stance, same swing, basically hitting the same ball, etc. etc. etc. You just cannot simulate the real deal.

Again, I know the OP isn't suggesting this as a replacement. So don't misunderstand me. All I'm saying is, pitching to that thing is really going to have limited value on training someone to hit their spots in a game. There are 100 variables between pitching in a game and practicing pitching on in an indoor facility. And these are things that can't be replicated.

I tell people all the time that pitchers in Southern California aren't usually better than most because they pitch year round, a kid in Maine can pitch year round too. The difference is, that Cali kid can pitch year round OUTSIDE. It can't be overstated how much of a difference it is between indoor and outdoor training. And even if you took this thing outside to use as a catcher while he/She throws off the rubber, there's still a lot of things that transpire which make it different.

That's just one man's opinion. Again, I'm not saying there's zero value. I'm just saying it won't do as much for the pitcher as we'd like to think it will.

Jan 20, 2023
I bought one of the tent pole ones off Amazon for $99 aceletiques is the brand in August.

It has been surprisingly robust. It gets about 300 pitches a week other than 6 weeks off in winter and another month where practice was mostly inside.

It still looks great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles