8u TB (Coach Pitch) Hitting Slump!!! HELP

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
No one dogs 8U. Everyone on this board has been there, is there, has coached there etc. But most also know the road is long and you need to pace yourself. There will be sooo much pressure to compete and win in the future, why not give them these young years just to have fun. So the very concept of a coach thinking a team is having a "slump" in 8U TB coach pitch (what the heck is 8u TB coach pitch anyway?) implies a little bit of a skewed focus. So you are not getting anyone dogging 8U, just some folks kind of saying, chill out and don't worry about how they hit in games. Keep focusing on fundamentals and fun and the slump will go away on it's own. I mean literally not caring at all about how they hit in games. If they are doing something in games you identify as an area to improve then by all means instruct them on how to improve. But if they are taking three good swings at three good pitches and just are not getting results then they have done their job and it is nothing to worry about.

Feb 3, 2011
I would make sure the coach pitcher is hitting his spots.
100% correct.

The job of the coach pitcher is to put the ball where the batter is going or is most likely to swing. If 8u coach pitch batters are in a slump, it's because the pitcher isn't doing their job well.

Jan 21, 2015
So the very concept of a coach thinking a team is having a "slump" in 8U TB coach pitch (what the heck is 8u TB coach pitch anyway?) implies a little bit of a skewed focus.

8u Travel Ball Coach Pitch....

Thanks for suggestions...maybe its the pitcher...maybe we are to serious about it. Even our girls have recognized we aren't hitting well. They are doing great during practice, some girls are banging balls off 165 foot fence during practice. But, during games it all disappears. I know it maybe nerves but, it just started in the last couple weeks. I was just looking for some pointers of someone who might have been there. We do emphasize to our girls to just have fun when it comes to hitting. We don't treat our girls like they are soldiers but, I was looking for ideas to help them, everyone has more fun when they are winning!! Even the kids.

Thanks everyone

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
I know what it means, it is just that there is no such thing as 8U TB where I come from, and all of the rec leagues I know of either have live pitching the whole season or the last half of the season. All of our 8U all star tournaments are live pitch so I was wondering how there could be a market for a group of teams to play 8U TB coach pitch, or any tournaments with this format. I have just never seen it before. In my neck of the woods there seems to be an unspoken agreement among all the rec leagues, TB teams, tournament directors etc. that 8U is just too young for TB. I never see an 8U team listed as an option for any of the TB orgs in our area, I never even see an 8U division at my older daughter's tournaments.

Where are you located? From you username I would guess Texas, I know they have a BLAZE org out there that is pretty big.

Apr 5, 2013
Back on the dirt...
8u in Texas is pretty damn competitive. JJ, you're coming across kind of condescending. Don't know if you're meaning to or not. Just spoke to an 8u mom and she was complaining that their coaches aren't doing enough to push their girls so I guess it all depends on PoV.

Blaze, just keep working on their confidence. Ime, if they are hitting in practice but not in games, it's not lack of skill but lack of confidence. Old saying of hitting breeds hitting comes to mind. :) good luck!

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
8u in Texas is pretty damn competitive. JJ, you're coming across as pretty condescending. Don't know if you're meaning to or not. Just spoke to an 8u mom and she was complaining that their coaches aren't doing enough to push their girls so I guess it all depends on PoV.

Blaze, just keep working on their confidence. Ime, if they are hitting in practice but not in games, it's not lack of skill but lack of confidence. Old saying of hitting breeds hitting comes to mind. :) good luck!

I didn't really give any thought to whether or not it is condescending or not, maybe condescending is the wrong word though. I do thoroughly disapprove of the concept of 8U TB, but my last post was sincerely curious as to where this might exist since I have never seen it and I have a decent grasp of our local TB scene. To be blunt I think 8 year olds playing any sort of travel sport is insane. My lil one plays 10U and I question my sanity having her involved in that. The mere idea of coach pitch travel ball really seems weird, if they are competitive and advanced enough then shouldn't they have pitchers already?

What you posted about a mom complaining they aren't pushing the girls hard enough is EXACTLY the problem. Just because some crazy mom wants her kid pushed does not mean it is good for a kid or the kid wants it. However if this is just isolated to Texas I can live with it by just chalking it up to crazy sh*t Texans do that I am grateful have not migrated to other states.

Jun 24, 2013
Jacksonville
In MS, LA, TX 8u is very popular age to get the girls in Travel ball that show a natural love for softball if not we will lose them to other sports as they are pressured by moms and dads to to play more traditional feminine activities such as soccer, gymnastics, cheerleadering, dance and even beauty pageants if you can believe it.

Most times these girls develop extremely strong arms and gloves and can only play catch with other travel ball girls or their parents. Rec leagues don't like them because your basically giving a lay up to a girl who can hit the ball a 160 feet against girls that still struggle to play catch. ( They do love them during All stars, go figure ). To my knowledge which is very limited most these teams are in FASA and USFA

These girls have to play somewhere to have fun and grow as players. In bigger areas I am sure TB isn't quite needed since there are higher numbers of great players to play recreation leagues but not here where there is less population and so much pressure for girls to play more girl like sports.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2015
N.C., USA
A parent can do whatever they want to 'push' their kid. Throw with your 8U on your own, take them fishing or to the beach... and skip the TB is my opinion.

Jan 21, 2015
A parent can do whatever they want to 'push' their kid. Throw with your 8U on your own, take them fishing or to the beach... and skip the TB is my opinion.

Everyone knows what they say about opinions.... But, honestly Alex is right...We are in Louisiana and the Rec competition is very small. Same 6 teams playing over and over and alot of the girls aren't dedicated. The only way to play year round or decent competition is to play travel ball. We don't play every weekend and stay within 150 mile of our house. Our girls want to play and we don't make them play as the Head Coach I tell my daughter atleast once very 2 weeks, if you want to stop you just let me know!!!

Anyway don't want to start a fight with anyone on here, like I said earlier, just looking for suggestions...another tournament this weekend that has 10 8u teams signed up in it so trying to get ready...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi