8U outfield???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
DD has always loved catching flyballs. Since we started when she was 5 in T-Ball. We never practice anything...Pitching-Catching-Hitting unless she catches flys as a warm up. I always threw it right to her. This 4fun practice was to have her catch it @ the Belt.... REPS x 10,000... I know she is 12 now.... and its hotdogging... :cool:

4fun @ the belt

4fun @ the knees

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
The best way in my opinion is by using a pitching machine set up to toss fly balls. That way you can set the girls where you want and the balls where you want and get lots of consistent reps, and at 8U consistent reps are the key. I make my young ones drop step every time and not come forward until the ball is coming down. Do they get to all the balls, no. But they get to most, and they start to learn that they can cover more ground going forward than backwards. Even if a ball drops in front it's only a single, and the adjustment on that catch is much easier than the other. Again, it's all about visualization and reps..

Jan 22, 2011
The best way in my opinion is by using a pitching machine set up to toss fly balls. That way you can set the girls where you want and the balls where you want and get lots of consistent reps, and at 8U consistent reps are the key. I make my young ones drop step every time and not come forward until the ball is coming down. Do they get to all the balls, no. But they get to most, and they start to learn that they can cover more ground going forward than backwards. Even if a ball drops in front it's only a single, and the adjustment on that catch is much easier than the other. Again, it's all about visualization and reps..

Agree... in 8u I used the the Blue UPM and the juggs lite flite balls to build confidence in catching fly balls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck