45degree stances-logic with strengths and weaknesses

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
I am seeing a lot more of the stances that are very open or very closed as in the hitter is at a 45 degree angle. LL Ragun Cajuns love the open stance-what is the logic/intent of this stance. What are the strengths and weaknesses of this stance. How might I apply this to what style of hitter?

I am seeing a few more that are 45 degrees but closed (front foot on line back foot offset towards dugout) That is the intent/logic of this stance. what are the strengths and weaknesses of this stance. How might I apply this to what style of hitter?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
We do open (see your local girl Hugo) to get coiled around the rear leg. Rear toes are pointed ever so slightly inward. Front quad lifts front leg with pitcher and hips coil around a solid rear leg.

Closed stance is usually to bait an inside pitch.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
We do open (see your local girl Hugo) to get coiled around the rear leg. Rear toes are pointed ever so slightly inward. Front quad lifts front leg with pitcher and hips coil around a solid rear leg.

Closed stance is usually to bait an inside pitch.

Hugo has always been a beast :)

Feb 7, 2013
One advantage to 45% open is you get both eyes on the pitcher.

But then when the pitcher goes into her wind-up they close their stance so I'm not really sure of the logic behind this theory that they can see the pitcher (and presumably the ball) better? In a normal batting stance, can't the batter simply turn their head towards the pitching circle. I have never seen a batter who didn't have both eyes on the pitcher once she took her batting stance. This is the same argument that some proffer for squaring around and laying the bat across the plate with two strikes so you can see the pitcher better. But if it was such an advantage, why not do it on an 0-0 count?

I think the better argument for an open stance is that the batter is not starting her coil from a static stance and with the 45 degree open stance, they coil to the back leg and bring the front foot towards home plate and pitcher during the stride. With that said, many great hitters never had such an open stance and played both fastpitch and baseball at the highest levels.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
What about those that aren't closing the stance at all?

Another ?. Ive seen 3 slappers slap with split grip today. Whats the logic/advantage/intent there?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
LMAO! Im wondering why this split grip is suddenly so popular in more than one area/conference. I don't see why a slapper would use it tho
Have you tried it yourself? If not you should and use as many different combos of split as you can to find one that works for you.
IE. 1/4 inch,1/2 inch, 2 inches etc... AND go in the opposite direction as a split grip by overlapping the pinkie finger of the top hand in the crease between the index and middle finger of the bottom hand.
What do you feel different in the swings?
What changes occur in your body and or your swings path?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan