2014 year in review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
2014 Has been a really exciting year for my daughter.
-Committed to her dream school gets to compete in the SEC.
-Won GHSA AAA State championship hit a grand slam in championship game. They won AA last year so Back to Back Champs.
- Made 1st All-state for the second year she is a sophomore
- made 1st team all-region and county
- Made the Hot 100 list for the class of 2017 on Full Count Softball
- is maintaining a 4.0 in AP and honor classes ( I am most proud of her grades and the work she puts into them.)
- Starting on the varsity Basketball team.
- Made All-tournament team in the Darlington Thanksgiving Basketball tournament
- I am very proud of the hard working, caring, and respectful young lady she has become.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
This past fall was DD's first time playing travel and while she shared pitching time with 4 other girls during our fall league season, she got the ball for all of our post season tournament games. In the semi finals, we were facing the #1 seed undefeated team who were really loud - cheering to the point of screaming at the start of the game. DD gave up two runs in the bottom of the first inning coupled with a trip to the mound by our head coach which prompted a loud repeating cheer from the opposing team "huddle, huddle, looks like trouble!" When the undefeated team's pitcher would get a strike out, the entire infield would come to the circle and give her high fives. We had never seen anything like this before, but ok. So, DD got a little fired up and hit a double with a RISP to tie up the game. We scored another 2 runs in the top of the third inning and there was no looking back from there. DD was on fire - to the point where the other team got very quiet, no more cheers or screaming. But the highlight was when DD struck out their #4 batter and her infield ran in to give her a high five. She started to laugh and actually enjoy the game. (DD is VERY serious when she pitches). You couldn't wipe the smile off of her face. She knew she was in a groove and was in control. What a turning point for her.

I was in tears the last inning - mostly because here is my DD who didn't make the travel team last year but was now demonstrating that not giving up and hard work pays off. It was so great to see her confident and really enjoying the moment. We went on to lose in the finals 4-2 - It was DD's third game pitching for the day and she ran out of gas plus we couldn't string hits together when we needed them but our team wasn't upset because the team that beat us to win the championship did so with grace - no screaming, no mocking. Plus - our girls got a trophy which always seems to be the goal for our 10 YO's.

So, after fall ball ended, DD tried out for the spring team (fall is open registration - no tryouts) and not only did she make the team, she was placed on the "A" team for her age group vs. the "B" team. It's been a heck of a year.

Thanks so much to the DFP community for sharing their excellent, and sometimes wacky, insights and experience. You all have allowed me to make some well-educated decisions on where DD should be going in this softball journey and for that, I am truly grateful.

Sep 24, 2013
Midwest
Oh there were many highlights but the best moment is every moment I get to spend with my teenage daughter on and off the field. I never had a parent child relationship like I do with mine and I can thank sports and coaching for that!

Her last final is in 30 min. She asked me to pick her up for lunch when she could have spent the day with her friends after school.

yes that's a tear....don't tell her!

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
So many this year...didn't realize it until reading this thread...

(1) Most important of all - watching DD mature into a fine young lady ready for college
(2) Seeing DD verbal to great D3 school with former DI twice national championship pitcher as new head coach
(3) Seeing DD hit first over the fence home run (3 GS since then along with numerous others)
(4) Watching DD throw a 1-hit shutout in the CIF championship game to lead her HS to its first softball championship (after going 22-8 as the lone pitcher during the regular season)

Jan 8, 2013
South Carolina
DD had a good year on the mound. Not everything was a success, but the growth that came from it was the good part.

1) Winning pitcher for USSSA State Championship Game.
2) First no hitter
3) Several-1 hit games
4) Biggest game of the year- winning pitcher against on of the state's top organization's national travel team
5) Learned real quick at 14U the need for changing speed and worked harder to develop her CU

Honestly, when I look at the list above none of that could not have happened without her work, but also the team and coaches that support her. Number 4 on the list- her team had to hit and play solid defense for that to happen. She did her part and threw to her strengths, but her team played a very solid game around that. The other pitchers on the team are very solid and they all have different strengths. I enjoy watching how the pull for each other regardless of who is on the mound.

May 28, 2014
Its been a rather up and down year for me and my DD. (10u)

This was her first year of 10u, and was hoping to get in a lot of swings for the season, however she broke her wrist 2 days before practices were suppose to start. She made it back to play in the final 3 games of the season, and snuck in on the all-star team for the post season.

Unfortunately from there she barley saw any game time due to her timing being basically non-existent , however when she did play she made some great defensive plays and earned a game MVP award in one of the tournys (her first one)

After All-Stars the goal was to play some fall ball with the girls who were staying in 10s, however fate again intervened on us when we found out that 75% of the girls that played with us decided to go travel, so want to play at a higher level we tried out for a few travel teams. This is when I found out my daughter thrives in high pressure situations and I saw her field at a level I have never seen from her before, needless to say she made one of the travel teams, which means she is floating on cloud 9 for the last 4 months.

From here she is working on making the starting 9 and we have a ways to go, revising her throwing for more strength, and getting her more comfortable in the box.

We have had some annoyances, at our local league pitching night, I have tried to start moving her to I/R only to have an old timer come over and tell me how wrong I am, three times. So I vow to get over to Javasource some time in the new year (as he is only an hour away from me.)

Overall, its been a great year, but really looking forward to this one coming up, a full year a travel ball, playing at the USAAA world series in Florida, and just watching that transition from the rec ball to the travel ball should be exciting for the DW and I. My DD is loving the group of girls she is playing with any how much she gets to play now.

Should be an exciting year, great thread!

Sep 18, 2011
DD's team struggled in June. They almost had to pull out of the IDT tourney in Boulder due to lack of pitching (top pitcher lost for the season, #2 pitcher recovering from a torn ACL). Heck one tournament saw my DD channel 12U as she had to pitch a game. In bracket play during a qualifier!! Almost the entire month of June there were parent meetings - should we go to Boulder? Should we withdraw?? Luckily, our "big sister team" (we were 15U, they were 16U - same org) agreed to loan us their pitcher at the 11th hour and off to Boulder (Longmont) we went.

DD had sent a bunch of emails to coaches, making sure they knew her schedule in Longmont for the IDT. First game was the 2017 all-star game (for uncommitted 2017 grads) and the atmosphere was fantastic. Tons of teams were there to support their players. Lots of cheering and support and the place was PACKED. under the lights. Gorgeous night. It was awesome. And TONS of college coaches were there. Of the 15 or so emails my DD had sent, I recognized at least 5 coaches or assistant coaches watching the game, including the associate head coach for her number one choice, who was directly behind home plate.

And the game began. With my daugter on the bench. The all-star rosters were huge. First couple of innings were uneventful. But then DD's team started scoring lots of runs in the third inning. I kept looking into her dugout. No movement. Girl gets a hit, another run scores, and then I see the coach call out to my DD. She grabs helmet and bat and runs out to batter's box. She's up to bat without being in the on-deck circle.

Pitcher is clearly not happy. this has been a long inning for her. There had been two outs for the last 5 batters. She just needed that elusive third out! She had given up several singles, doubles, and walks and her teammates also committed a couple of errors. She had to be tired. And frustrated. Whatever pitch catcher is calling, pitcher doesn't like it. She shakes her head "no." She shakes her head "no" a second time. A slight nod. Here comes the pitch, inside fastball (DD's favorite)...

I'm sure the thin air in Colorado helped. It probably helped a lot. But my god it was a majestic shot. Absolutely electrifying and there were actual gasps from the crowd. Her teammates (her real teammates, not the all-star teammates) went absolutely crazy for her in the stands. People from other fields who were watching the 2014, 2015 or 2016 all-star games came over and wanted to know what happened. My biggest regret is that I didn't caputure it on video.

That was the beggining of a great week. The girls tied for 5th in a very strong field, losing only to the Beverly Bandits. And all week long random folks approached DD and asked if she was the one who hit the homer in the all-star game. college coaches approached DD's travel coach about my DD. Invitations to camps and unofficial visits were extended. And somehow DD received an invite to a jamboree from the On-Deck folks.

Sorry. I know I've written all or most of this before, but given the "year in review" thread this was the best softball moment for me and it is fun to share with people who get it. I am already counting the days until Longmont in 2015, and don't worry I've put "fewer brag posts' on my New Year's resolution list for next year. :)

And of course there was also that little matter of DD committing to her dream school in the fall. Wake up the echoes.

Nov 18, 2013
This was a special year with many of DD's friends & teamates entering their senior year of HS or first year in college. One memorable moment was catching DD's PC wipe a tear from his eye at her signing.

Another was her former 14U team getting together to take a side by side then & now picture to give to their old coach. They all got in the same poses and wore their future college sweatshirts. Nine of eleven have verballed or signed which is just unheard of around here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12