2014 year in review

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 16, 2014
Best memory was watching my 11 year old DD make a dive catch at 3rd. It was true ESPN type stuff. very exciting. That, or her game tying double she hit in All Stars that brought in 2 runs and allowed us to stay in the game and ultimately to win that game and not be eliminated. We went 8-1, 3rd place for State
My best memory for my 9 year old was her taking one pitching lesson, ONE, then being brought in to pitch the final inning of her last Fall travel game. Stuck out all 3 batters..knew right then she had "it"

thank you for bringing this up. Sometimes we are always looking ahead and striving for better and it's nice to reflect back as well

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
All I can say is that 2014 was a year of miracles and no matter what happens, I'm proud of what she has accomplished:)

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
JAD, you miss the recruitment process? I don't miss it one bit......lol.

I miss the excitement, not the anxiety.....and while it is great to know where your DD will play college ball, sometimes, especially after a couple of adult beverages, you wonder "what if". Two days after my DD verballed her TB coach got a phone call from a top academic school in CA asking DD to come for an unofficial visit. LOL

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
I miss the excitement, not the anxiety.....and while it is great to know where your DD will play college ball, sometimes, especially after a couple of adult beverages, you wonder "what if". Two days after my DD verballed her TB coach got a phone call from a top academic school in CA asking DD to come for an unofficial visit. LOL

I never wondered "what if". I guess I will now since you put it in my head......lol. Now you've also put "adult beverage" in my head so now I need a beer.

One thing's for sure.....the email inbox does not get as much mail....lol.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
2013 was a difficult season for DD. She played for a team she enjoyed but for a head coach who seemed to have little confidence in her and showed it openly (I won't get into details). If not for some good experiences playing as a pickup player for another team, her love of softball seemed to be vanishing, and the confidence she once had seemed to be gone.

Fast forward to 2014. We received our schedule for a tournament and learned that we were playing against her old team during pool play. She immediately asked me if she could pitch that game. I explained that as a coach, I would like to see it, but as her dad, it wasn't right for me to make that decision. I told her that she should make that request of the other coaches. At the next practice, she did just that. She requested a private meeting with the other coaches and made her pitch for the start. The other coaches agreed to give her the start. She didn't disappoint. Our team won easily as she pitched a 1 hitter! While I was certainly proud of her performance, I was even more proud of the way she handled herself. Remembering how shattered her confidence was just a few months earlier, I was very impressed with her maturity and determination. Proud papa moment for sure!

Oct 10, 2014
Peach State
DD's high school team won a region championship for the first time ever. They made the Elite 8 at the state championships for the first time ever. They finished 6th in state in the final rankings for their classification. DD hit a home run during post-season play. She was selected as All Region First Team as a sophomore. Her recruiting journey is starting to heat up with her first unofficial visits on the calendar for next month. I'm stressed, but happy. DD is all smiles.

DH is deployed right now, so he is missing it. I hope there will be more college visits for her when he returns home in the spring. He loves watching her play!

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
Great thread!

As a Parent:
Watching DD1 (14U) really come into her own. She threw out 29% of the runners this year in her 1st full year of catching. She was asked to tryout for a couple of really strong 14U teams in the area and while she didn't make either team it was a great boost for her to realize she can "hang" just fine with some the stronger players. Her development as a hitter (worked from 8th to 3rd in lineup), fielder (C\RF\3rd) and most importantly as "a teamate" has been terrific. She was voted captain this year! .489 avg .6oo OB .810 OPS good stuff!

DD2 learned I\R and established her self as one of the top 10U pitchers last year (JavaSource is the man!). She's also developed miles as a hitter. All because of hard work on her part. She is the leader of the team (so much for middle child syndrome) and displays great competitive sportsmanship! As the coach, I'm soooo cognizant of "daddy ball" I'm like her biggest roadblock. 3rd in BA, 2nd in OPS, struck out the least, 2nd in RBI's, etc...she earns her way...believe me :) Highlight: Was asked to pitch at 10U Nationals in Tennessee from the top local 10U team.

DD3: First exposure to live pitching (7 YO). Only struck out 5 times in 12 games (part of this is coach pitch) and really "gets" the game (gee...I wonder why when every weekend we're at a tourney LOL). Biggest highlight: catching her in the basement hitting balls off the tee all her own and cheering herself on (she didn't know I was watching)...nothing like hearing "yes! hit to the outfield!"

As a coach:
I'm thrilled with the development my girls' skills but what really impresses me is their coming together as a team. I really feel like they have learned to play the game and learned what is means to compete and stay composed in the face of adversity. I never had their poise when I was 10! We were only 1 of 2 teams to take the NYS ASA Champs all 7 innings last year (lost 4-1). No turtle-ing here! I also believe the parents are on board with the teaching and team direction myself and my AC have set - which is huge! We won 3 of 6 tourneys last year and played the top local team in the area as close as you can (Losses: 4-3, 3-2, 2-1 (8) Won:4-3). Good stuff!

As a DFP Dad and fan: I've said before this is not just because of my love of the game of baseball...it's about paying forward what a 2 guys and my DAD did for me as as player growing up....I want to take a second and thank those who have either directly or indirectly helped me out...because these are HIGHLIGHTS of my 2014 Softball Season.

JavaSource - if you think he's helped your DD "here" meet him in person sometime...tremendous teacher and a an equally genuine person...done worlds for my DD2 and the pitchers on my team. Can't thank him enough!

I want to thank Cannonball, Riseball, Straightleg and Crankermo...your posts about your journey and DD's success are shared with my DDS'. Just great stuff! I'm certain much of what I wrote about DD1's breakout year has some basis in your posts. Keep 'em coming!

BoardMember, Ken B., Rick Pauly - thank you! Words are not enough!

Doug R. and Amy in Az. PLEASE POST MORE - Thank you for the honest questions and well stated posts this past year!

FiveFrameSwing...you are an absolute freakin' pain in the a## LOL (your wife has already been sainted and is a 1st ballot vote for the MLB Hall of Fame) just a simple "thank you." Why?...because you make me "work" for the answer...again...thanks for making me better!

TDS, Buttermaker: your posts on spine and core usage are priceless. I've added the cat\cow sequence into my DD's daily routine with good success. The team gets it 1st of the year. (DD's are my petri dish :)

RDBass and Eric F...you guys add a ton to this forum and I enjoy observing your DDs journeys. Thank you!

Howe\1Ca: Thank you! I can't thank you enough

Noontime:Love your site! Enjoy your posts here and at BBD

Thanks again everyone and happy holidays!

CP

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2013
I get to get up and go to work Monday thru Friday, and after 24 years of marriage my family is healthy and still loves me, I think.

In January I received a call from our 8U commissioner telling me I was granted a team for the spring season. Funny thing was I didn't put in for one. I found that my wife, and some others in the league, submitted a request to coach / manage a team on my behalf. Isn't that sweet. I had coached my son for years, but had never coached girls sports. Oh boy! Started the season getting our butts kicked in a scrimmage, then went 1-3-2 our next six games while getting run ruled twice by the team who would finish first in the regular season with 2 losses. We were clueless and I was wondering what the heck I (my wife) got me into. So I buckled down and went back to basics. The girls bought in and we finished 17-5-4 knocking off the top three teams in succession during the play-offs. I have coached a lot of teams in my days, but can honestly say that this was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life!

My 8 year old DD won her first all star tournament as a pitcher this summer. DD pitched a no hitter with 12 strikeouts and 4 putouts in her first championship game appearance. Then finished second in 8U states with DD pitching 7 of the 8 games, including 3 games in a row on Sunday (in 100degree heat) to make it to the championship game from the losers bracket. DD only gave up more than 2 runs in a game 6 times, with 9 shutouts in 30+ all-star games. Other pitcher broke her leg so DD shouldered the load without a complaint. I was amazed beyond belief. God has definitely blessed her, and us, with many gifts.

My son is very blessed, successful and loved by many as well. He has been given the gift to make others happy regardless of what they are battling or dealing with, and he uses that gift tirelessly without regret.

I am thankful for our troops who are tirelessly fighting daily to give us the opportunity to post our successes (brag) here on this board.

Oh yeah, did I mention that my family is healthy and still loves me!

God bless you all and we hope you have a happy, safe and glorious Christmas season!

MB

Oct 10, 2013
For my oldest, her special moment is today, after missing 7 weeks of school with a concussion she will be caught up. 54 test in a little over 6 weeks. She told us, the principal, teachers and councilor she will do this by break....she did it. Lowest test score was an 85 which is a C at her school. All the rest were As and Bs. Now she wants to focus on softball and come back.

My youngest, just watching her 8u team win there tournament. The joy on their faces...it was fun to watch.

Aug 20, 2013
Had a lot of great times with some with softball this year but the single proudest moment I can remember is when my daughter hit her first OTF Homerun on a 200ft Fence in 10u. It just happened to be a Grand Slam and what made it a little more special is that my dad who isn't around a whole lot happened to be at the game. She said previously she wanted to hit one over for him! I got it captured on video but it's not the best quality. Great times!!

I have no idea how to post video but if anyone is interested in viewing, it can be pulled up by typing "Alisha Grand Slam" on youtube. There are 2 of them but the first was on a 160' field last december.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceez12