2 strike hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 4, 2013
Looking for thoughts/experiences from the gurus on teaching the "timing hit" when the batter has two strikes. Seems to be a common approach in college. I'm referring to when batter starts off square to pitcher and slowly turns back as pitcher begins their motion.

Dec 20, 2012
Looking for thoughts/experiences from the gurus on teaching the "timing hit" when the batter has two strikes. Seems to be a common approach in college. I'm referring to when batter starts off square to pitcher and slowly turns back as pitcher begins their motion.

DD used it when she was younger. We called it a right hand slap because it wasn't a full swing. I'm sure others may call it something different. Could get a little better timing and was mostly used for just making contact. But with hot bats that contact would end up in the OF. She would show bunt, as soon as the P would bring her throwing arm back she would slowly pull the bat back. Timing it so that when the pitcher released the ball the bat was just beginning forward motion.

Feb 7, 2013
Question, why would you attempt to do anything different with two strikes other than mentally expand your hitting zone? I know teams like Alabama show the bat and then slowly bring it back to their regular hitting stance when the pitcher goes into her windup, but I never really understood this. It's tough enough to hit with a good pre-pitch batting stance, the defense knows you are highly unlikely to bunt with two strikes, so why present the bat out over the plate and then pull it back to swing? MLB players don't do this, I see no need for it in women's fastpitch.:confused:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
why would you attempt to do anything different with two strikes other than mentally expand your hitting zone?
I agree. Teach your hitter to hit 1,2, or 3 strikes. Hit the ball.

Dec 30, 2013
I was a baseball player not a softball player, but I was always taught with two strikes to choke up on the bat and widen my stance. Used that with both my boys teams and now with my daughters.

Dec 4, 2013
If a bunch of the top fastpitch teams in the country are doing it there has got to be some benefit right? I don't think it's meant to show bunt with two strikes, it's a timing mechanism.

Dec 4, 2013
I was a baseball player not a softball player, but I was always taught with two strikes to choke up on the bat and widen my stance. Used that with both my boys teams and now with my daughters.

I currently teach six 2's. Choke up 2, widen 2, 2 inches closer to plate, crouch 2, expand zone 2 up/down, expand zone 2 L/R.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
If a bunch of the top fastpitch teams in the country are doing it there has got to be some benefit right? I don't think it's meant to show bunt with two strikes, it's a timing mechanism.
True, it is a type of load and gives the hitter a 2 eye look. I believe these hitters/teams do it on every pitch, not just 2 strikes?

Dec 4, 2013
Can I pull a Hanson principle here? Before you do something ask yourself do the top schools in the country do this?.......Is that legal? Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877