2 strike hitting

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Look at these hitters. They are all back in their normal batting stance BEFORE the ball leave the pitchers hand. How does this help with seeing the ball better????
Well it may. Take this hitter.
17emgn.gif

Watch her head seems to get a 'good' 2 eye look the whole time. Plus it gives this hitter her 'running start'
I'm not endorsing this style. Again it's a style not an absolute.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
On two strikes, we teach our batters to expand the strike zone to their hitting zone. If they can get a bat on it, even to foul it off, they are swinging. Right or wrong, we have had a lot of success with this.

Feb 7, 2013
Well it may. Take this hitter.
17emgn.gif

Watch her head seems to get a 'good' 2 eye look the whole time. Plus it gives this hitter her 'running start'

So starting with the bat way in front of home plate gives the batter a better two eye view the whole time? Can a batter not just turn their head a little more to the pitcher in her normal batting stance than having to have to alter her pre swing mechanics to achieve the same results. I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument at all. If this were true every batter in every league would start with their bat in front of home plate....no matter what the count.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2013
Bud I understand your against this. But if Patty Gasso, Tim Walton, Bill Edwards, etc have kids doing this, there is something to it. I don't know how you can immediately say it's worthless. It's worth looking in to and discussing if some of the top minds in the game have kids doing it.....just my opinion....

Feb 7, 2013
Bud I understand your against this. But if Patty Gasso, Tim Walton, Bill Edwards, etc have kids doing this, there is something to it. I don't know how you can immediately say it's worthless. It's worth looking in to and discussing if some of the top minds in the game have kids doing it.....just my opinion....

Hey Bud, this isn't a novel thread and had been discussed at length here. I will find it and post for your viewing pleasure. Happy power slapping...

Dec 25, 2010
Same here, but while still trying to hit the ball hard. The concept of "just trying to put it in play" with 2 strikes never appealed to me

On two strikes, we teach our batters to expand the strike zone to their hitting zone. If they can get a bat on it, even to foul it off, they are swinging. Right or wrong, we have had a lot of success with this.

Dec 4, 2013
Thanks Bud! All of your wisdom is appreciated. Still trying to soak all of it in...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Same here, but while still trying to hit the ball hard. The concept of "just trying to put it in play" with 2 strikes never appealed to me

Absolutely agree with you. The swings are full swings, not a shortened slap swing. We save those for earlier in the count when the corners are up looking for the bunt. There are many times when we will poke it past the corners because they are too close to react fast enough.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
So starting with the bat way in front of home plate gives the batter a better two eye view the whole time? Can a batter not just turn their head a little more to the pitcher in her normal batting stance than having to have to alter her pre swing mechanics to achieve the same results. I'm sorry but I don't buy this argument at all. If this were true every batter in every league would start with their bat in front of home plate....no matter what the count.

Again, my DD doesn't bat this way nor will she. I was just answering your question of the 'possibility' . Not an argument on my part not sure on your part. I didn't agree with the approach on 2 strike, 1 strike or no strikes. Not my style of hitting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HCockell