1st year TB...matching bags and helmets

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
I have a dilemma that I am probably thinking is a bigger deal than it really it is.

We are playing 12u TB for the 1st time and of course the team has to have matching helmets and bags. It's all included in the cost, so that's fine.

The problem comes in that DD is a catcher so she has all of her catchers gear plus bats, batting helmet, cleats, etc. We finally got a Boombah bag this year that fits everything. The coach's daughter is a catcher so I asked if the bags they are ordering fit everything for the catchers too. She said it fits everything except the catchers helmet. DD saw the bags because a couple girls have then from last year and said to me on the way home, no way is that going to fit all my stuff. I just told her that it's part of being on a travel team and you should just go with the flow, but I am worried that if all her gear doesn't fit in a bag, it will be forgotten somewhere.

Problem #2. DD has a big head....physically (not mentally). I had to search high and low for a batting helmet that went up to 7 3/4 and found a Worth that fit her great last year. She tried on the batting helmet that one of the girls had from last year's team and it was too small, like squish her head and hard to put on and take off small, and this one had the padding already worn in. I asked the coach if the helmets come in different sizes and she didn't know. She said she would check. They use custom color Schutt helmets and it looks like there are different sizes in some of the models. Do I just volunteer to pay the extra if she needs a different model helmet so it fits her big head?

Anybody else run into these problems and how did you handle?

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
The boombah beast should fit all the gear. My DD fits catcher gear, both helmets, bat holder, 2 gloves and 2 bats plus assorted other "essential" item. The other alternative is to get a separate rolling bag for catchers gear. It's kind if nice if you don't need it you don't need to lug it all around. Can't help you on the helmet.

Dec 7, 2011
An option:

Get her favorite helmet customer painted. Have the paint job have the core color for the team in there somewhere and yer set!

Many moons ago our TB catchers got custom painted helmets and I swear it made them play better! .....

Jan 24, 2013
Bolingbrook, IL
We have the Boombah beast already, but the coach is ordering Easton bags for the team and doesn't seem to care that everything for a catcher won't fit (and we have 3 catchers on the team.)

She is only ordering black and white bags (not matching team colors) so our Beast would still match except for the Boombah vs Easton logo.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We have the Boombah beast already, but the coach is ordering Easton bags for the team and doesn't seem to care that everything for a catcher won't fit (and we have 3 catchers on the team.)

She is only ordering black and white bags (not matching team colors) so our Beast would still match except for the Boombah vs Easton logo.

Stick w/ what you have. Black and white is black and white and the Easton bag won't even make it through a full season.

Apr 1, 2010
DD's team had matching backpack bat bags last year. We made it work, but it was difficult. We got a carabiner clip to attach her catcher's helmet to the outside on one side and she used some of the straps to attach her shin guards on the other side. Once all the straps broke she started looping the shin guards over a bat. I think her helmet and shin guards got more banged up than usual--though it's hard to tell with her. By the end of the season, she was missing two screws from the helmet facemask and one of the straps that attach the knee portion to the lower section of the shin guard had pulled out. Her mitt, fielder's glove, batting helmet and chest protector did all fit inside the bag.

This year her team is going to allow the catchers to pay an upcharge and get a larger wheeled bag

Oct 22, 2009
PA
I've never really cared about matching helmets and bat bags. If the girls want them, and the parents are willing to pay for them, matching helmets are fine, but are not required for any association I am aware of. A head coach should have better things to worry about than matching bat bags.:rolleyes:

May 7, 2008
Tucson
This may be a first year coach. What if you have him order you 2 of the Easton Bags? Yes, I would be afraid that something is going to get left behind, also. Mark everything that you can with your phone number.

I like the idea of using the black bag that you have and painting the helmet that you have. Good luck. I tell you, the things that we worry about. :)

May 13, 2013
I would talk to someone on the team that can give you a better answer than "i dont know".

If you explain your concerns and they are not open to finding a good compromise, what happens when you bring the next concern to the coach?

Jan 7, 2013
Hey, that's my DD. Catcher and large cranium. Our Spring TB team had boombah rollers and DD had the boombah Beast for all her gear. The team helmets were Eastons, so DD had to order the large adult size and add padding. We had one player that had to get a different brand of helmet because she was a tweener. Coach was fine with it, safety before aesthetics.

I have to wonder about a TB coach that is willing to alienate one his/her catchers. Not too smart IMO.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad