1st lesson

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 18, 2009
For my DD, yes. She wasn't using any lower half. My DD tried different ways of loading and firing. This is working best right now. Also working on hands and extension through the swing. I trust this instructor as I've seen some girls she has changed.

Nov 21, 2012
New England
NV, I am sure your are going to get a lot of advice on your DDs swing. There is a lot to work on. The good thing is she seems to be very athletic and aggressive. This is just a random person's advice, which i assume you are looking for by posting here, so if you find no value in my observations then please disregard.
The biggest issues which I think need to be addressed before moving on are:
1. Lack of a sequence. It looks like an attempt at a sequence with all the swaying back and forth but ultimately just ends as a gate swing, forward/back/forward just as Straightleg pointed out. A sequence needs to be priority number one. Try to make it as simple as you can. No complex concepts or terminology. Have her coil/stride toward the pitcher as she is loading the hands back toward the rear shoulder at the same time. No swing at all. Just this over and over until she can do it. Have a simple cue for it. We use to call it bump-stride (bump someone behind your back with your elbow as you are coiling forward.) Miggy clips are very helpful with this!
2. Barrel awareness. Right now your DD's first move at swing initiation is to drop the head of the barrel and then pull it through the zone. Maybe have her start with a little bat waggle in her stance instead of quite so much body swaying. Feel the barrel. Off of a tee, try to have her visualize a short barrel path directly to the back of the ball, not down and around the ball. Have her swing half speed at first to feel the barrel and it's path. Once comfortable, increase speed and add bump/stride sequence. Once comfortable with that, bring it to front toss. Keep it simple for now. Use words like like short or sudden for a swing feel.
3. Bat drag. I'm sure you will find plenty of information about this on here, but if you take care of the sequence and barrel awareness it will go a long way to fixing the bat drag as well.
Good luck on your journey! Have fun.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619