1st and 3rd situation question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 22, 2008
For the same reason a runner would round 1st, see if they illicit a reaction from the defense and score the runner from 3rd. Based on the description of what happened the runner did nothing illegal, there should not have been any call.

Sep 14, 2011
Glendale, AZ
"hesitated even by the minutest amount" --- for most umps, "immediately" (what is in the rule) probably means 1 second minimum, and maybe as long as 2 seconds for the younger girls. The runner need to be allowed to round the base, stop, assess, then decide to go fwd or back.

For what it's worth....The look rule is there to allow the runner to stop, find the ball, and then "immediately' make a decision to go one way or the other. Once the runner has started in one direction, s/he may not stop again or change direction as long as the look back rule is in effect, ie, the pitcher has the ball in the circle and is not making a play on a runner. "Immediately" is left to the judgement of the umpire.

What I teach umpires to do is when the runner stops, look at the pitcher. If the pitcher has the ball in the circle and is not making a play, look at the runner, if the runner isn't moving, kill the play and call the runner out.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
It is kind of silly, I think the ball is the key. If the person with the ball makes or fakes a play runner is free for a little while.

Sep 17, 2009
Are there lookback rules in youth levels of baseball? I never really understood why the rule is there at all. Defense/pitchers should be able to "take care of" baserunners without needing some unevenly-enforced rule....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00