18U ASA nationals a better level of play than 16U ASA nationals? Then by how much?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 14, 2011
I would like to know if there are any real qualifications for a team to play 18U Gold? There is a local 16U team who was an average ASA A-team at best last season, who just declared they are playing 18U Gold next season - and to the best of my knowledge they have not made any significant player upgrades.

I think anyone can play Gold. They may be out of their league though.
My DD played Gold for 2 years, even after she committed and even after she signed. She leaves for college in a few weeks and we fly that traveling and playing top competition was the best way to prep her for college ball.

As to the original post, I would agree with others- there isn't too much difference between 16 & 18 except the 18 game seems a little faster or sharper sometimes. I think plenty of coaches recruit at both the 16 and 18 level. If the talent is there, the coaches will be there too. We always had lots of coaches at our Gold games.

Dec 20, 2012
I would like to know if there are any real qualifications for a team to play 18U Gold? There is a local 16U team who was an average ASA A-team at best last season, who just declared they are playing 18U Gold next season - and to the best of my knowledge they have not made any significant player upgrades.

If you pay the $$ you can play in an ASA Gold qualifier. If you qualify, you can play Gold Nationals. The kickers for some teams is:

ASA Code, Article 501 A. 3.

JO teams should therefore be advised that if they participate in championship play at a classification higher than their assigned classification, they must participate at that higher classification for the remainder of the season. For example, if a Girls Fast Pitch Class “A” team participates in a Gold Territory Tournament, that team may not move back down to play in Class “A” championship play. For the remainder of the season that team will be classified as a Gold team, and may only play in Gold championship play.

Gold was originally an ASA division started in 93-94. It supposed to be the best of the best. And the term wasn't thrown around like today. This in 2012 46 of 64 teams at ASA Gold Nationals had "Gold" in it's name, 2002 22 teams had it, and in 1998 6 teams. The term Gold can be branded to any team, it's just a name. Premier Nationals last year, the best of the best, only 3 teams had the term "Gold" in their name. If you're good, you're good. Guess my point is "what's in a name?"

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
If you pay the $$ you can play in an ASA Gold qualifier. If you qualify, you can play Gold Nationals. The kickers for some teams is:

ASA Code, Article 501 A. 3.

JO teams should therefore be advised that if they participate in championship play at a classification higher than their assigned classification, they must participate at that higher classification for the remainder of the season. For example, if a Girls Fast Pitch Class “A” team participates in a Gold Territory Tournament, that team may not move back down to play in Class “A” championship play. For the remainder of the season that team will be classified as a Gold team, and may only play in Gold championship play.

Gold was originally an ASA division started in 93-94. It supposed to be the best of the best. And the term wasn't thrown around like today. This in 2012 46 of 64 teams at ASA Gold Nationals had "Gold" in it's name, 2002 22 teams had it, and in 1998 6 teams. The term Gold can be branded to any team, it's just a name. Premier Nationals last year, the best of the best, only 3 teams had the term "Gold" in their name. If you're good, you're good. Guess my point is "what's in a name?"

As noted in the tryout announcement sub-forum, the DFP Diamond Elite organization has set new precedent that is sure to be followed by others struggling with this issue.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
for one, the pitching speeds between 16 and 18 were the same. Heck even the pitching speed between the 14u and 16u were close. The batting looked about the same between 16 and 18, and the fielding was marginally better in the 18u division.

Because there isn't much of a difference. The 18U teams had no college freshman players. So, the age difference between 16U and 18U was only one year.

Jan 11, 2010
There is a big difference between 16U and 18Gold at the higher levels of PGF and ASA. Almost all the best pitchers from the 2014, 2015, and many from 2016 classes (as well as hitters) all played 18 this year. The 2015 and 2016 classes, and many of the 2014's would be eligible to play 16U if they wanted to. There is an advantage to staying down if you are uncommitted, but most of the impact players from those classes are all committed. I am sure it is more even among the teams down from the top levels, but the pitching is much better at 18 than 16 at PGF for sure. It is also more challenging as a pitcher as the better hitters that are committed all play at that level also.

May 14, 2010
The difference between 16 and 18 is not in the top teams. The main difference as I see it is in the bottom 75% of the teams. The worst 18 team is light years better than the worst 16 team.

I have spent the last 5 years alternating between the 2 ages. At 16, there are still a lot of players that are playing because it is something to do. They are not dedicated to playing in college. It's what they've done for the last few (6-8?) years. Better alternatives have not come along. At 18, playing softball means time away from job, boys, cars, etc. So it requires more commitment on behalf of the players.

18A Northern Nationals had 43 teams. 16A Northern Nationals had 67, I think. One of the reasons for the difference in numbers is # of players. The fall off in numbers is more drastic among the fringe players than the elite players. So, in my opinion, the quality of the players at 18 is better because many of the lower quality players quit between 16 and 18.

Top 16 teams can play with top 18 teams. Average 16 teams can't play with average 18 teams. At least in the Midwest, in my opinion.