16U vs 18U

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 7, 2011
RB, I think you are having trouble getting your head around the recruiting process. It is the parents responsibility to get the DD seen by a bunch of coaches. Then, it is the parents responsibility to make contact with the coaches and follow up. If coaches don't see your DD or don't know your DD, then it is *THE PARENTS'* fault.

Because the parent did not make contact with the right college coaches. The parent may not have contacted anyone. Or, she may have decided that the DD was so talented that only U of AZ or U of AL or UCLA was the only place for her.

It is important for the parent to honestly appraise the talent level of DD and then to understand what DD wants to do, and then help the DD find a place to play.

Sorry - I may have left out an important detail. I have placed the responsibility on my DD to contact any & all coaches of schools she is interested in, or, is going to see at an event. So the "contact" is happening,... I have to trust DD in that.

Sluggers - you think it's better for the parent to strike up the contact to the college coaches? (maybe my assignment of this to DD was not advisable...??)

(in general too I am not talking about the BIG D-1's as I am sure the girls for those rosters are hand-picked from the warm states in the freshman-sophomore time frames)

Jan 11, 2010
Times have rapidly changed in regards to recruiting. Impact players are being evaluated and recruited at 14U and 16U. The stud younger players playing up at 18G will get seen, but the non-impact D1 level players should stay in their age group until committed. It is getting earlier all the time, and pitchers are the first to go. Unless she is a top player in the country in her class, you need to contact the coaches in advance of tournaments, or before attending their camps, so they can be on the lookout for you. Good luck.

Dec 7, 2011
Times have rapidly changed in regards to recruiting. Impact players are being evaluated and recruited at 14U and 16U. The stud younger players playing up at 18G will get seen, but the non-impact D1 level players should stay in their age group until committed. It is getting earlier all the time, and pitchers are the first to go. Unless she is a top player in the country in her class, you need to contact the coaches in advance of tournaments, or before attending their camps, so they can be on the lookout for you. Good luck.

Thanks for this too but should I (the daddy) or the DD be doing the contacting?

I thought it was more appreciated in the coaches ranks to see the player reaching out herself. Maybe I am wrong with this??
(I have been wrong once before ;-) )

Jan 11, 2010
You can have her make contact but I would take a look at her initial letter of introduction. It is hard for a player to brag on herself, so sometimes it works for the parent to send initial letter/email before attending camp or advising of an upcoming tournament. Just be honest. I would have DD do all follow up and schedules after that. This is JMO.

Jul 9, 2010
Ray - perfect answer. I can tell you too that I think parents believe their TB coaches will do this for them. Some will, some won't.

At the end of the day - don't risk it. Take control, and make it happen.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks for this too but should I (the daddy) or the DD be doing the contacting?

I thought it was more appreciated in the coaches ranks to see the player reaching out herself. Maybe I am wrong with this??
(I have been wrong once before ;-) )

This is what I did. I draw/drew up the initial rough draft email for DD to send. We didn't have emails in my day, but as a family we have just gone through this "modern day" process on the baseball side. Once you type up the basic letter you just save it and change the addressee and some personal school info and send it on its way.

Subject line: Name, year of graduation, position,

Next: ( for print out purpose )
full name
Position
Graduation year
High school (phone)
High school coach (phone)

Next I list stats ( with links to maxpreps and school/travel website for verification )
ERA, k/7, BB, W/L/S, BA, etc

Next athletic accomplishments:
State
Nationals
Pitcher awards
Tournament awards
Individual and team wise

Next:
Acedemic awards
Clubs

Next:
GPA
ACT
SAT
Class rank

Interested major

Next: ( optional )
References to the college you're emailing. alumni-employed friends family-

Next: ( now this one was recommended by a large D1 baseball scout to my brother's boys, I also used it for DD but not sure if it helps in FP )
former family college players ( year, school, position )
current family college players ( year, school, position )

Then I'd have DD "personalize" a paragraph directed toward interest in the school and softball program. ( Little a$$ kissing )

Last:
Home address
Email
phone

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2010
We set up an email account that was of the for
Playernameyear@hotmail. Daughter and I both had p/w.

Then, I would type a draft, and have her review it and hit send. After doing a few, she started doing it herself. So, all emails and communication came from her, which is how it should be. But, I hd a hand in Getting her started sometimes.

I'm doing the same thing now for DD#2 for lax. Same process, different ball and stick.

We did all the same stuff as Goindeep. In the personal section, we'd blend academics (you have a highly regarded basketweaving program, and I am really excited about basketweaving) and sports (something you can find about their program that you like or could contribute).

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Does anyone feel that only 17 and 18 year olds play 18 gold and all the 15-16 year olds play 16u?

-W

Gold teams are getting younger, For a few different reasons, Its really hard to find alot of 17,18 year olds that either haven't already committed or they have decided against playing ball in college.

If your a college kid that is 18u and you have one year eligibility left you are not permitted to play Gold or B, You may play A though

So thats 3 reasons why its difficult to find kids at that age to play gold and some of the reasons why Gold teams are younger now.

I coach a college exposure team and talk to alot of college coaches. They really like the fact that fresh and soph students are up against college freshman college players in some of these exposure events.

All we do is exposure events minus the one ASA State event we enter that still garnishes alot of looks for our kids.

So yes 15 and 16 should play up to the highest recruiting level team they can find. One that goes to the right tournaments, mandates communication homework from the dd and then markets their kids from the coaches end.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Excellent post by GD. (I knew he had something going for him other than animating GIFs.)

RubberBiscuit... I should have clarified. The DD should be the one reaching out to the college coaches. The DD should be doing the "grunt" work. BUT, the parents should be helping DD to make sure it gets done and gets done correctly.

Apr 11, 2012
Excellent post by GD. (I knew he had something going for him other than animating GIFs.)

RubberBiscuit... I should have clarified. The DD should be the one reaching out to the college coaches. The DD should be doing the "grunt" work. BUT, the parents should be helping DD to make sure it gets done and gets done correctly.

agreed....that was a great post by GD and there has been lots of good advise on this tread.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyGoneWild